Day 21-22 and no hatches yet!

chicken hawk3

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 22, 2014
First incubation here! I started my batch 9/28 in the evening. Candled on day 18 before lockdown and saw movement in the eggs. One wiggled a bit day on day 19, swear we heard a few random chirps and over the past few days----silence, no movement, nothing.
We had them at 99-101 temps (still air Little Giant incubator) and humidity btwn 45-50% on days 1-18. Lockdown stats are 99-100 temps and humidity ranging from 65-70%.
Am I just being impatient? How long do you think it will take them to hatch?

Sounds like everything was going pretty well by your humidity levels and temps. Did you start with the next day after you put the eggs in the incubator as day one? Do you still hear peeping? Any pips?

thanks, boy and I glad to hear my #'s were right. I've read all sorts of different "suggestions" on temp and humidity.
No pips, no sounds, no rocking, etc. watching it like a hawk, LOL.
I didn't start the next day as my day 1 and that is the issue I'm comtemplating. Thinking I should since I started them in the evening. what do you think? should today be my day 21??
should I be hearing chirps? is it ok if I don't? Ugh.....the torture of this waiting!!! LOL

Just had a hatch under a broody on day 24. If nature can't get it right I think it's safe to say don't panic if the incubator isn't on time lol

Is super frustrating and disheartening I know but just sit on your hands and wait. The fact you saw movement is a good sign.

First incubation here! I started my batch 9/28 in the evening. Candled on day 18 before lockdown and saw movement in the eggs. One wiggled a bit day on day 19, swear we heard a few random chirps and over the past few days----silence, no movement, nothing.
We had them at 99-101 temps (still air Little Giant incubator) and humidity btwn 45-50% on days 1-18. Lockdown stats are 99-100 temps and humidity ranging from 65-70%.
Am I just being impatient? How long do you think it will take them to hatch?
My first hatch (a bust) I had two hatch, one early on day 24 and one late 24/25. The first is healthy and spoiled. The second didn't make it. You should count the day after you set them as day one. So if you set them a Monday at noon, you count Tuesday at noon as day one. Still air incubators though are supposed to be maintained at about 102 degress and forced air at 99.5 degrees. If they were a little cooler than they were supposed to be it may delay your hatch.
You can find a ton of good info here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
Hope that helps.
smile.png

Well, they didn't make it. We waited til the end of day 24 and no movement, so we decided to crack them. Opened them up and two dead chicks. Not sure what happened to them, but they weren't meant to be. :(
I have 4 more due any day now, hoping all goes well with them!!!!

Oh no, I am sorry :( I am anxiously waiting to see if my babies make it (day 18 today). All the best for the next hatching!

Well, they didn't make it. We waited til the end of day 24 and no movement, so we decided to crack them. Opened them up and two dead chicks. Not sure what happened to them, but they weren't meant to be.
sad.png

I have 4 more due any day now, hoping all goes well with them!!!!
Thanks! Good luck on yours!
smile.png

Mine just started "rocking" so I'm super excited!!!!!
I'm so sorry to hear your first batch didn't make it. I know how heartbreaking that can be.
hugs.gif

I hope you get some pips and zips soon from this batch!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom