Day 21-22 and no hatches yet!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken hawk3, Oct 20, 2014.

1. chicken hawk3

chicken hawk3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    First incubation here! I started my batch 9/28 in the evening. Candled on day 18 before lockdown and saw movement in the eggs. One wiggled a bit day on day 19, swear we heard a few random chirps and over the past few days----silence, no movement, nothing.
    We had them at 99-101 temps (still air Little Giant incubator) and humidity btwn 45-50% on days 1-18. Lockdown stats are 99-100 temps and humidity ranging from 65-70%.
    Am I just being impatient? How long do you think it will take them to hatch?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sounds like everything was going pretty well by your humidity levels and temps. Did you start with the next day after you put the eggs in the incubator as day one? Do you still hear peeping? Any pips?

3. chicken hawk3

Mar 22, 2014
    thanks, boy and I glad to hear my #'s were right. I've read all sorts of different "suggestions" on temp and humidity.
    No pips, no sounds, no rocking, etc. watching it like a hawk, LOL.
    I didn't start the next day as my day 1 and that is the issue I'm comtemplating. Thinking I should since I started them in the evening. what do you think? should today be my day 21??
    should I be hearing chirps? is it ok if I don't? Ugh.....the torture of this waiting!!! LOL

4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Just had a hatch under a broody on day 24. If nature can't get it right I think it's safe to say don't panic if the incubator isn't on time lol

Is super frustrating and disheartening I know but just sit on your hands and wait. The fact you saw movement is a good sign.

5. chicken hawk3

Mar 22, 2014
    Thank you! I'm just ready to be able to sleep at night again! LOL

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    My first hatch (a bust) I had two hatch, one early on day 24 and one late 24/25. The first is healthy and spoiled. The second didn't make it. You should count the day after you set them as day one. So if you set them a Monday at noon, you count Tuesday at noon as day one. Still air incubators though are supposed to be maintained at about 102 degress and forced air at 99.5 degrees. If they were a little cooler than they were supposed to be it may delay your hatch.
    You can find a ton of good info here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
    Hope that helps. [​IMG]

7. chicken hawk3

Mar 22, 2014
    Well, they didn't make it. We waited til the end of day 24 and no movement, so we decided to crack them. Opened them up and two dead chicks. Not sure what happened to them, but they weren't meant to be. :(
    I have 4 more due any day now, hoping all goes well with them!!!!

8. Lalegid

Lalegid Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    Oh no, I am sorry :( I am anxiously waiting to see if my babies make it (day 18 today). All the best for the next hatching!

9. chicken hawk3

Mar 22, 2014
    Thanks! Good luck on yours! :)
    Mine just started "rocking" so I'm super excited!!!!!

10. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    I'm so sorry to hear your first batch didn't make it. I know how heartbreaking that can be. [​IMG]

I hope you get some pips and zips soon from this batch! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by