Day 21 HALP!

melodystar

In the Brooder
May 5, 2017
Perth, ON
Hi guys,

It's day 21 and I woke up yesterday to 1 chick first thing in the morning, and 4 by the afternoon, as well as 2 zipped. I left the two that had zipped more than 24 hours before I decided to help them, since they were looking dry. lo and behold, they were totally shrink wrapped, with the membrane stuck to their fuzz. :(

I helped them out and they are chirping away in the incubator as I type this. (Phew!!!) I think they'll be fine.

I'm worried, however, about the rest. There are 29 more eggs in there to go. I haven't seen pips on any of them.

I've upped the humidity. It was around 65 and I have it closer to 80 now with sponges. Are the rest toast now, since the humidity obviously was too low? Or if they haven't pipped can they still be ok?

The anxiety is killing me. Ahhh!!!!

They should still be ok if they haven't externally pipped. Honestly, as long as the eggs have lost enough moisture through the first part of incubation a high humidity (80% plus) is the way to go. It gives you a bit of leeway if you do need to open the incubator and chicks tend to have an easier time hatching. Good luck!

The ones I helped out last night are still looking matted and wet, though behaving normal, loud and active. Could they be wet still after being in there overnight?

Morning of Day 22 and nothing else yet that I can see.

Well thanks guys...day 22 and no sign of life from any of the other eggs. Had a bad feeling and did the water test and none seemed to be moving, no chirping inside. I think they're done. I really don't understand it. I've had a terrible time incubating eggs. I got 6 this time, which is better than none, though!

The ones I rescued are dry but very matted. Hopefully they fluff up. Do you think I should be trying to clean them up somehow?

Thank you. So then what do you recommend humidity-wise? I had it about 45-50% until day 18 and then 65%, which I raised yesterday when it seemed like the 2 were drying out.

Back
Top Bottom