Day 21 hatching chickens, help!

claire12345

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
Hello everybody, my name is Claire and I am 12 years old. I am currently hatching chicken eggs for a class project! I have a dozen eggs and I am using the Farm Innovators model 2200 still incubator. I have been turning the eggs 3 times a day, and the temperature has consistently been 100 degrees. It is currently day 21. I am worried because I haven't candled them at all and I am afraid they won't hatch. The humidity is around 70% right now. I can swear I saw one of the eggs shaking and I also am sure I heard one of them chirp. Right now nothing is happening and I am worried! Please reply with help!

i think we all feel just the same. it is a matter of waiting. i had 2 chicks hatch recently in my incubator and one was on day 22 and the other was day 23. don't give up hope yet...

Hello everybody, my name is Claire and I am 12 years old. I am currently hatching chicken eggs for a class project! I have a dozen eggs and I am using the Farm Innovators model 2200 still incubator. I have been turning the eggs 3 times a day, and the temperature has consistently been 100 degrees. It is currently day 21. I am worried because I haven't candled them at all and I am afraid they won't hatch. The humidity is around 70% right now. I can swear I saw one of the eggs shaking and I also am sure I heard one of them chirp. Right now nothing is happening and I am worried! Please reply with help!
Shaking and chirping is good. That means they're working on it. It can take over 24 hours after the shaking and chirping start. Is it possible your thermometer is off a bit? Lower temps could cause later hatching. Just hang in there, don't open the incubator to candle at this point - just wait it out and see what happens. A 3rd grade teacher in our school incubated 34 eggs in her classroom - consistent temps, good humidity - one egg hatched. "Eggbert" is now living on her mother-in-law's farm with some other babies that were purchased at the feed store a couple of days after he hatched. Sometimes - no matter how smoothly the incubation seems to have gone, they just don't hatch.

Last edited:
Did you calibrate the thermometer on the incubator? Meaning did you check it against a thermometer you knew was accurate? The thermometer Our Farm Innovations incubator is off by nine degrees

Sorry, slip of the thumb and my post went up unfinished. Good luck on your hatch. It is a rewarding learning experience and even the most educated and experienced with the best equipment have they're disappointments, so don't get discouraged.

100 degrees is a little low for a still air. you may hatch on day 22-23

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I bought two aquarium thermometers and put in mine. I have a Farm Innovators, with a fan. Don't remember the model number - it's in the closet this year because I had a broody earlier, and now have another one. I prefer to use them since the temperature and humidity are always perfect!

Back
Top Bottom