Day 21 no chicks yet

WVChickenFarmer

Songster
8 Years
May 6, 2011
Union, WV
I made a post in the Old Broody Hatch A Long thread that my broody hen had abandoned her eggs on day 15. My husband and I had to make a emergency incubator to try and save her eggs. So far they have been doing well. I candled some of the eggs today and unfortunately some of them have died. But I do have some eggs that look like the chicks are still living and some I can not really tell if the chick is alive or not.

This was my first time hatching out eggs. I'm trying not give up on them. But the temp in my incubator did go down quite a bit some time late last night or early this morning. I got up to check on them and the temp had gone down to 80.

I really hope they will make it and that the temp drop will just delay them hatching a day or two.

Has any one else had them temp go down so far before this late in the game and still have chicks hatch?

Last edited:
A period of lower temperature may have delayed them. Late hatches are often due to a low incubation temperature. Don't give up hope yet!
Good luck!

Thanks! I don't plan to give up on them. :) I hope this low temp just delayed them a little. I will update if they hatch or not. I just worry I may have messed up.

Last edited:
Patience, Grasshopper! Mama gets up to eat and poop, the temp goes down a little.
They will probably just be a bit delayed.
Good luck!

OMG! I can't believe it! I heard peeping this morning!

I guess my next question is how long do you think it will take them to hatch since I heard them peep?

I heard mine peep this morning and almost dropped flashlight on top of bator so awesome isn't it. Getting really excited now Congrats maybe soon we will have babies

For me today is day 19 on some silkie eggs I had and one of them has already pipped and I can hear it peeping. It's so cool!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom