polarris

Attachments

• CBE972F6-EC82-453D-BAC6-2F5C6BC2FAB8.jpeg
    CBE972F6-EC82-453D-BAC6-2F5C6BC2FAB8.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 6
  • FCE9421B-FEAE-404F-91CE-D3E51B83FB08.jpeg
    FCE9421B-FEAE-404F-91CE-D3E51B83FB08.jpeg
    435.3 KB · Views: 6
I should also note that chicks prefer hatching in the dark, much as they would be if they were underneath a broody hen.
My eggs are in a vivarium and I'm wondering if I should turn off the heat lamp and just keep the heat mat on as they're hatching seeing as you should reduce the temperature a bit then anyway- it might help keep humidity up but I'd worry about the newly hatched chicks drying off though whilst we wait for the others.

Last edited:
My eggs are in a vivarium and I'm wondering if I should turn off the heat lamp and just keep the heat at on as they're hatching seeing as you should reduce the temperature a bit then anyway- it might help keep humidity up but I'd worry about the newly hatched chicks drying off though whilst we wait for the others.
What is the temp in vivarium? Hatchlings need a temp around 95 degrees especially while they are drying.

My eggs are in a vivarium and I'm wondering if I should turn off the heat lamp and just keep the heat at on as they're hatching seeing as you should reduce the temperature a bit then anyway- it might help keep humidity up but I'd worry about the newly hatched chicks drying off though whilst we wait for the others.
As long as they have another reliable heat source in the vivarium to keep temperatures warm enough for them to be able to finish hatching and dry/fluff out once they do, they should be okay.

What is the temp in vivarium? Hatchlings need a temp around 95 degrees especially while they are drying.
Vivarium definition - an enclosure, container, or structure adapted or prepared for keeping animals under seminatural conditions for observation or study or as pets; an aquarium or terrarium.

The eggs are in the vivarium therefore 95-100, the thing is one source of heat ins underfloor and the other overhead. Just about balancing it so the chicks that haven't hatched yet have enough humidity to do so but the chicks that are out don't stay too wet. There's a lot of debate on proper lockdown/hatch humidity. Some say only 60 and some are saying as high as 85. I am keeping it low for most of the hatch and then probably heading for 70-75

As long as they have another reliable heat source in the vivarium to keep temperatures warm enough for them to be able to finish hatching and dry/fluff out once they do, they should be okay.

Vivarium definition - an enclosure, container, or structure adapted or prepared for keeping animals under seminatural conditions for observation or study or as pets; an aquarium or terrarium.
Thanks, I have to remember that lots of people let them fluff out in conventional incubators and they don't have an artificial sun blaring on them, but the chicks dry off all right. It is in essence a still air incubator though there is adequate ventilation. The mat is on a thermostat so should be all good :thumbsup Worst case scenario I will just put the lamp on.

There can be a dozen or more reasons for problems. The first that comes to mind is that they were 3 days late. That means the temperature was too low for the entire incubation. At anything below 35C, there will be disproportional development. That means some organs and systems develop at different rates. That will cause them to die in shell or shortly after hatching.
In fact, anything above or below 37.5 C can be a risk of deformities.
There can be many other causes besides improper temperature, humidity, turning and ventilation. Those could be contamination, breeder nutritional deficiencies, breeder diseases, heredity, embryological development accident and many more.
I don't think the power outage was a problem because it was such a short period of time. It takes a while for the internal egg temperature to drop.
The most important thing is a calibrated or guaranteed accurate thermometer.
Hatching early or late is almost always a temperature issue. More than a few hours or a day late is absolutely a temperature issue.
All other things being ideal, you can almost set your calendar and clock by when chicken eggs hatch.
@River campbell Did you read this post above?

Back
Top Bottom