day 21 no pipping!

Yay pipping is happening. Humidity a bit funky as we had to add water to containers this morning before seeing the pipping. We are so excited!

Attachments

• 20170529_100851.jpg
    20170529_100851.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 59
ok ...its day 21 and just a little more than concerned... got 198 eggs ( spaced 7 days apart at 66 eggs per batch -so waiting for first 66 to hatch now!) in my homemade deep freezer incubator ... not my first hatch ...but my first in my homemade bator .... the controls i used was ripped out the smaller one i bought (56 egg bator) ... keeps to a constant 38 degrees c ...works like magic .... however whats worrying me is the humidity ...i have no hygrometer ... i installed a glass window on the door and at night i gets covered in mist/droplets ... but in the warmth of the day ... mist/droplets disappear ... would the humidity alter the hatching time or did i royally screw this one up ??? with my little incubator ...always saw action on day 21 ... now nothing !!! Also started feeding my hens calcium carbonate to strengthen their shells - which worked like magic ... but is now just weighing on my mind! Maybe the shells are too tough ???

just to add to my post ....eish .... i never candled eggs before ... but decided to have a look now and i was right .... candle 2 eggs ... saw nothing ... cracked them open ..pure yolk ... took another 3 .... same thing .... another 3 ... all yolk !!! by the 15th egg ... half an embryo ... then looked at the second batch i put in two weeks ago .... examined 6 ...all 6 came up dark... What went wrong with the first batch ... gonna leave them in for a couple of days ... see what happens ... DAM !!! Old eggs ??? Collected those eggs during the last cold snap of winter ... was it the cold ?? are my men shooting blanks ???

Went and bought myself 2 hygrometers this morning ... reading at 56 percent humidity (which i'll pump up in a few minutes)... got enough vents and temp stable at 38 degrees ... got 3 fans circulating air .... have i missed anything ??

well thought it was 38 degrees ... turns out .... more like 39.2 degrees .... that is registering with my new therm/hygro .... so i dropped the bators temp down to 37.5 ... maybe the extra insulation around deep freezer plus volume inside (height) not the same as the little crappy plastic bator ... gonna try and average temp out across the 2 indicators and hope for the best.

I think someone needs to invent something so we can tell if they alive in the incubator. How much less stress would we all be knowing there was a heart still

Back
Top Bottom