Day 21 - no signs of pipping... teacher here - help!

MrsZylstra

In the Brooder
May 4, 2020
Hello. Today is day 21. This is my fourth year doing egg incubation. Two years ago, I had a slow hatch and didn't have any chicks hatch until day 23. Last year it was right on time. Trying to keep my firsties under control with their excitedness and high hopes. Someone please remind me it'll be okay and things I can do or look for. I candled all eggs before lockdown and all had chick development like they should for that day. I come in on the weekends multiple times a day to check in on them and temp and humidity has been where it should. humidity dropped over night so I quickly added some water. Increased humidity with lockdown like I should have. I did quick candle one extremely fast and there was movement and veins. I kept the egg flat and still.

Have you calibrated your thermometer and hygrometer? It sounds like your temperatures are running a little low. Can you post pictures of your candling? It won't hurt the egg.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 16
You have to post it on YouTube or another video hosting site and link it back to here, I'm sorry. That egg doesn't look close to hatching, but it still look Alive. Can you candle through the air cell?
Like hold it with the air cell up like how I did it before they went into lockdown? Will that harm it?

Like hold it with the air cell up like how I did it before they went into lockdown? Will that harm it?
No, it won't harm it. It's a bit silly to believe it will, eggs are actually pretty tough. They won't take manhandling well but this certainly won't harm it.
What kind of incubator are you using and what have your temperature and humidity been this whole incubation? Did you calibrate the sensors at any point?

Hello. Today is day 21. This is my fourth year doing egg incubation. Two years ago, I had a slow hatch and didn't have any chicks hatch until day 23. Last year it was right on time. Trying to keep my firsties under control with their excitedness and high hopes. Someone please remind me it'll be okay and things I can do or look for. I candled all eggs before lockdown and all had chick development like they should for that day. I come in on the weekends multiple times a day to check in on them and temp and humidity has been where it should. humidity dropped over night so I quickly added some water. Increased humidity with lockdown like I should have. I did quick candle one extremely fast and there was movement and veins. I kept the egg flat and still.
Inquiring minds want to know; Did you have a successful hatch?🙏

Back
Top Bottom