Day 21 Nothing Going On

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by digger MN, Jan 8, 2011.

1. digger MN

digger MN Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    I MAY JUST WAIT UNTIL MARCH. Can go out and get chicks for 2 to 5 dollars a pice. I got them then, Not a good thing for a guy to do. First hatch got 4 out of 20. I no mellow out but this is going to get me nuts.

Temp has been between 98 and 102, Humidty about 35 to 40 In still air LG. I candeled just before lock down and seen movement in all but 3. Oh yeah set 20 of them. Good air sacks. What else can a guy do??

Do I sound bummed or what.

2. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    just wait.. All you can do, really.. If your temps swing alot, they could be developing slower and could hatch later on.. Also you have to raise the humidity to near 70% on day 18 to allow the chicks moisture/humidity to form a barrier between themselves and the shell. This allows them to break free from the shell and not "stick" to it and die. That may be a problem as well.. If you have done everything right so far, don't worry still.. Ive heard people hatching eggs on day 27!! a full 6 days AFTER their normal incubation period.. I would just wait and see what happens.. Dont open your bator till the end of day 23 and then re-candle if you cannot see life moving around in them, toss them, or just sit and wait until the end of day 25. re-candle, if anything is alive, give it another day, if not, toss the batch and start over.. Remember consistent temperatures are very important to the development of chicks. With temp swings of 4 degrees, you are really limiting your potential results.. just my 2 cents..

3. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I know nothing about incubators, but with my Bio-Bators, I have hatch days go a full week past hatch day and still had 100% hatch. Good luck.

4. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Since you said your temps varied from 98 to 102 in a still air bator, give your hatch a little more time. You can recandle today if there are no pips to check for movement. You might want to fill up the water anyway so that would be a good time to do it. Just don't lolly gag around.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  5. digger MN

digger MN Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    I just put some warm water in a bowl that is in there and humidty going up a little BUT iI got a couple eggs wet doing so. I did not want to open yet. Will this hurt the eggs???????????????

6. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Na... you're doing fine... There are some people (not me) that spritz their eggs when they remove the lid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by