Day 21 of incubating shipped eggs- movement but still lots of fluid in the eggs ???

KLAM

Chirping
May 15, 2018
Georgia
Hi! I’m incubating shipped eggs that had a very rough ride. Several eggs were smashed even though they were packaged extremely well. Almost all saddle or detached air cells. I followed the recommendation of setting them upright in an egg carton (large end up) for 7 days with no turning and 30% humidity. The crazy air sacs did mostly return to normal. So on day 8 we put them in the egg turner, which is an upright turner. 7 days later we realized we had not plugged in the egg turner! No idea how we missed that. Felt terrible!!! So we candled again, had growth in 1/2 the eggs so we plugged the turner in and continued to incubate. Now day 21 has ended and no pips. These are bantam eggs and usually hatch a day or two early so I already consider them late. We have 5 left in the bator. They all have movement and we can still see veins. However, all but one seem to have fluid in the lower (small) end of the egg. Two of them I figured that maybe it was unabsorbed yolk but two others have such a large area that there’s no way it’s all yolk. At this point I’ll keep waiting until I see no veins before I attempt to open the eggs. I’m guessing they are all malpositioned from not being turned the first 14 days (which I feel terrible about). Anyone have any idea about this fluid? We did open one egg this morning that had no movement and it was a really tiny chick that looked fully developed but was like 1/2 the size and lots of fluid and the yolk was kinda stuck to it. I took a video candling one of the eggs with fluid but it seems that you can’t attach a video. So I’ll attach two pictures. One candling from the top (air sac side) and one from the bottom (fluid filled small end). Thanks for any help.💗
CC970E3B-59E7-4858-9BD1-22FAAC4CB396.jpeg
AF487AB8-5051-43EE-8F3E-F73C6C2E8F35.jpeg

It does look like a lot of fluid, I did the same thing with my shipped eggs. I waited before turning to ensure the air cells were in the right place, then forgot to plug the turner back in. I also had around 30% humidity. I had a couple that died in early incubation (probably from not turning), and then only 6 of the 20 I had left at lockdown hatched. The start of Day 21 2 hatched, the next day another 2 and the next another two. The rest all died around Day 19-20.
I am blaming mine more on the humidity than the turning because these results have been happening to me a lot recently. I never did any research on dry incubation (which is what I did to maintain 30% humidity), so that could have been the reason it didn't go well. What humidity did you have it at for lockdown? Also, what temp during incubation and lockdown?

personally i would just 'make sure' you got temps right and dont touch them .. looks like you at least have some that are going to make it .. you'll reduce their chances by messing with them thats almost never a good move ...

Thanks for the responses! I’m using a Farm Innovators 4250 incubator. I’ve been incubating and hatching chicks with my own eggs this summer. This is my fourth time using it but this time it was shipped eggs. Same breed as my own eggs, just trying to get new genetics in my flock. I have Sizzles/Satins (whichever name you prefer to use). My own eggs have done fairly well in this incubator and hatch a day or two early. The incubator usually stays around 99.0/99.5. Occasionally I’ll see 98.5 or 100.0. After the 7 days of 30%, I bumped it up to 45-50%. Then at lockdown around 65-70%.

Back
Top Bottom