Day 21 question?

WVChickenFarmer

Songster
8 Years
May 6, 2011
Union, WV
I have a hen that I put 6 fertile eggs under on July 9th. She has had 2 chicks hatch out so far. One of the chicks died trying to get out of the egg. She still has 3 more eggs under her. I was wondering how long I should keep her on the other eggs? Will she go off them by herself?

This is my first time doing this. So I was not sure how many more days she needs to stay on the other eggs?

Oh, and I'm so excited the about the chicks. They are so stinking cute!!
jumpy.gif

I have one more question. What should I feed them? Do I have to feed the mother hen and chicks the chick starter? Can I feed them scratch feed? I know I'm not suppose to feed layer feed. But I was wondering if I can give them the scratch? The little feed store here don't sell the flock raiser stuff. Also if they do need the chick starter. Should I get in today or can I wait to get it tomorrow?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. But I just want to make sure I do everything right.

Are they free ranged or in a run all the time?? If they are free ranged Momma will show them what to eat. If they are in a run they should have chick starter to eat. You can take a box and put some holes in the bottom just big enough for the chicks to get in but not the other big chickens so that the babies can eat in peace.

My chickens are free range chickens. But I decided to go ahead and buy chick starter yesterday. Good thing I did because my feed store was about out. I separated the mother and her chicks and put them in a different pen for now. I have 2 more hens I need to move today or tomorrow with their chicks also. I don't want to chance the other chickens pecking the chicks.

I plan to let the mother hen's and chicks free range with the other chickens in a week or two.

Thanks for the reply. I think I was in a panic yesterday. But got things figured out on my own.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom