Day 21 & still going

Woodlebrain

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2015
BC, Canada
My second attempt at hatching (first attempt got only 1 chick). Mix of regular & A&Ms in a home made incubator. They've been coming out since day 18, some needed assistance (membrane just wouldn't break after full zip & fighting for an hour or 2 (lost one because my toddler kept screaming from the bedroom & chick was dead by the time I got back). It's halfway through day 21, have 3 pipped for the last 12-24hrs & 1 large egg I can hear tapping back if I tap. How many days until they are too big/in trouble to hatch or wont be strong enough? I haven't mastered candling & haven't even tried but say the big egg that tapped back, do I & when do I help pip if it doesn't?

Hi
Please note I am a beginner but here is my experience.

We had a home made incubator in which I think the humidity was too low (always around 35-40% never at 60 or 70%).

We had 11 eggs and 7 hatched, all on Day 17 (when Coturnix are due). They started pipping on the evening of Day 16, by the afternoon of Day 17 four got out by themselves and but three needed help out the eggs as i think the membranes were drying too quickly. (Upon post mortem we found three weren't fertile and one fully developed chick never even pipped so I am not sure when it died or why).

So, helping chicks. For those who had pipped and had made a gap but were making no progress, I helped by VERY delicately chipping some shell away being careful not to damage the membrane (as there are blood vessels in it that can be still attached to the chick). They were then able to kick their way out, however two I also had to help through the membrane (only where there was clear movement underneath so I could tell they had separated from it).

All 7 are alive and doing well one week on, but please bear in mind it was a very delicate operation and you should never tear the membrane from the chick. Everyone will also probably say I should have left them, but I couldn't help but feel it was our environment causing their struggle as opposed to their inherent weakness, so I felt duty bound to help. But that's just me as I can't stand the idea of them being trapped because of us. So maybe judge if your situation is similar, I wouldnt hesitate to do the same again, though next time I will be making sure the humidity is much higher.

I would not "pip" a egg...... I have helped many chicks in the situation Laura describes. But actually breaking the shell is different. There is something wrong with a chick that cant pip..... Can you end this chick if need be? If the answer is no, then IMHO, you have no business opening that egg..... Good luck what ever you decide....

I would not "pip" a egg...... I have helped many chicks in the situation Laura describes. But actually breaking the shell is different. There is something wrong with a chick that cant pip..... Can you end this chick if need be? If the answer is no, then IMHO, you have no business opening that egg..... Good luck what ever you decide....
X2. Best of luck.

thanx everyone. apparently the only time in the 3 days that hatching has gone on apparently the 30 min. we took to go to our pool there was a temp spike. Last two with their beaks out perished but I saved the one who had started zipping though he has curled toes (attempting to fix that one if anyone can help). Did eggtopsies, 6 were infertile & 5 shrink wrapped. I do have 11 chicks running round at least (except for curly toes who is shuffling around on his knees & belly)

thanx everyone. apparently the only time in the 3 days that hatching has gone on apparently the 30 min. we took to go to our pool there was a temp spike. Last two with their beaks out perished but I saved the one who had started zipping though he has curled toes (attempting to fix that one if anyone can help). Did eggtopsies, 6 were infertile & 5 shrink wrapped. I do have 11 chicks running round at least (except for curly toes who is shuffling around on his knees & belly)
Congrats on your chicks!
jumpy.gif

Congrats on your chicks!
jumpy.gif

X2! Stretch the the curled toes out as they should be alot and they will normally be ok. This has to happen early on thou, dont wait! after a few days you wont fix them. some use masking tape too to make little duck feet holding the toes as they should be....

well down to 10 :( the last A&M who made it out on its own was stretched out this morning. As for Boots, I've finslly managed to get the taoe on but only had bandaids or scotch tape. The bandaids kepts slipping off while trying to get them on so he has scotch tape, will this be an issue, do his feet need to breeth? Also he is currently in a small yogurt cup (read that somewhere else) so he is forced to actually stand other wise he stil lies on his belly but now with legs stretched out. I assum he needs to build some leg muscles now? How long should I try keeping on his shoes? & does he need to be seperated so the others don't pick on him?

well, put boots on him this morning. Took them off this evening to see how he was doing. His feet actually straightened & he was standing & getting about properly so I left him. About an hour later I found his dead :(

well, put boots on him this morning. Took them off this evening to see how he was doing. His feet actually straightened & he was standing & getting about properly so I left him. About an hour later I found his dead :(
I'm sorry to hear.
hugs.gif
Hopefully the rest of your chicks are well and thriving.

Back
Top Bottom