Day 22, 1 has pipped finally.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Birdys Barnyard, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Birdys Barnyard

Birdys Barnyard Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    I am down to only 3 silkies in the hatcher. 2 of these the air cells are on the small end of the egg so I'm not holding my breath on these. The other silkie finally pipped overnight on Day 22 and doesn't appear to be doing anything now. I really don't want to lose this one and will intervene when necessary. How long before it should start to zip? Also, will it start to zip at the pip hole?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    You want to give them at least 24 hours from first external pip to ensure they are properly absorbed.

3. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1446848/chicken_egg_defies_evolution/

check
    out this video...it helped me to be more patient while waiting for my lone egg to hatch.

I made a mistake in what date the heat was set to a consistent 102 and so I misjudged by hatch date. Hopefully that's all that has happened with your eggs. My lone chickie hatched after 24 hours or so after I noticed the pipping.

Is your chick making any noise? Mine made more noise the closer he got to hatching.

4. Birdys Barnyard

Birdys Barnyard Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Thanks for your replies! I'm going to keep my hands outta there and let the lil chick do it's thing. [​IMG]

5. brkuk

brkuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    thats a great video for us egg hatching starters. Thanks scbatz. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by