Day 22, 2 left to hatch, can I tell if they're still alive?

Pinenot

Songster
12 Years
Sep 11, 2007
I was wondering if you can tell if a chick is still alive on day 22? They fill up the egg except the air cell. How long would you leave them before takeing them out of the bator?

I always leave mine to day 25...I've had hatches at day 24 before....won't hurt to leave them a few more days just incase...

Or when you take out the rest, you can candle them to see if they have broken into the air pocket. If so, they will probably hatch out, if not, and you can't see pushing, they are probably dead. Give it 24 more hours though if you haven't candled.

So if I candle them...I could see them pushing? I will try that and leave them in there a few more days, just to make sure. The other 2 hatched yesterday morning, leaving 2 more to hatch.

I just candled them and saw no movement. I candles one that looked like it had stopped the day I transfered it into the hatcher. I went ahead and opened it and it was dead with a dime sized yolk. I don't know if the other one will make it. I didn't see any movement, but I did put it back in the hatcher.

Back
Top Bottom