day 22 and nothing :( *UPDATE*

no it had not when i checked it about 4 hours ago. but i did see it still moving in there, so as of then it was alive.. i'm kinda bummed these were my first silkie eggs from my hens and only 3 were fertile and only this one looks to still be alive. I have silkie eggs being shipped to me right now, i hope someone elses eggs hatch better for me, that always seems to be the case. I had 10 of my own eggs and 15 from someone else once and 2 of mine hatched and 14 of the others hatched..
hu.gif

What happened? I am on day 23+, have two eggs that moved during float test - no internal pips though and no chirping. I checked 7 eggs that I was pretty sure that had died. 3 had died earlier, but 4 looked like they were fully developed. Only one had pipped internally - and was wet...possibly drowning?. All the others (most in correct position) were shrink wrapped. I had had some early lockdown humidity issues.

I would be in the same boat as you though - still alive, late, no internal pip, and a history of potential shrink wrapping.

I feel for you...same thing with mine. The two last ones that showed movement during the float test - I finally opened and they were also dead...just a little less wrapped. I wonder if it would have made a difference if i had opened earlier - but am told that they had already been significantly weakened already - so were just the last to go. I know though, that I had had humidity issues during the first 10 hours or so of lockdown...that is probably what did it. Lessons learned, I guess - just stinks that these lessons involve killing stuff. :(
Am day one into my next batch, with adjustments as needed.

I always suspect humidity when I lose them so late in the game. I had a dozen fully developed chicks on hatch day that just died. The humidity jumped to 86% somehow overnight. It was in a classroom, so who knows what could have happened. The chicks were just covered in ooze. I've botched up another batch of 18 eggs right after. I vowed not to torture myself again, but, a friend gave me 4 possibly fertile duck eggs this week..... so here we go again!

Don't let it get you down. Keep trying!

Well I've got 26 eggs in right now 13 of mine and 13 shipped bearded silkie eggs that I had already bought before this happened and were shipping.. Just candled them tonight on day 5 and 23 are growing, 2 are suspected growing but still can't be sure, and 1 I'm pretty sure isn't.... I've got to figure out this humidity thing ASAP! I'm letting it sit at around 15% right now cuz every time I add water it goes shooting up... Grrrrr

Back
Top Bottom