Day 22 and the chicks are beginning to hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by suzieq, Mar 28, 2009.

1. suzieq

suzieq Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    New Jersey
    My goodness this egg hatching is stressful business. Last night my daughter heard peeping and one is beginning to pip. Yeah. I am guessing my thermometer is off? Why a day late?

I will post pics.

Susan

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    congrats [​IMG] I have a broody hen I am setting up today, I cant wait.

3. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    What day are you on? I know all about hatching being stressful.I finally got over it more than I did at the past times.I got me a Hova Bator 1588 and it sure does good.I was using the LG,and i felt like I could not leave it a min. But I still use it too.PICS>>>>>> do u have any pics.Good Luck,Sandra

4. ItsSuzzie

ItsSuzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello Club, I hatched last year with broody hens. Lots of fun and joy, but I am so impatient.

This year our town feed store has a large incubator, and I am taking charge of it. So far, they are hatching as planned. I may just build up my Serama flock again. I lost them all last year when the snow came down.

Anyways, we had a temp spike with the incubator the first hatch. The eggs hatched on day 23. There are threads about that. Did you have a temp. spike? That is when the cold weather brings up the temp. in the incubator.

Have a great hatch!!!

5. suzieq

Jan 18, 2009
    New Jersey
    Today is day 22 for me. One is completely out and two others have holes in the shells. I have a total of 25 eggs. 19 are Rhode island reds and 6 are columbian cochin bantams. All I purchased on Ebay.

I am thinking that maybe my thermometer is off. It is a incubator thermometer? but i guess that doesn't mean anything. After this hatch finishes I am going to purchase another thermometer to see what that one reads.

Susan

6. suzieq

Jan 18, 2009
    New Jersey
    pic of first chick RIR

[​IMG]

7. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Too cute, Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

I'm only on day 7 [​IMG] 2 weeks to go.

Michelle

8. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    Quote:your closer than me i am on day six. I have to keep fighting the urge to candle my eggs every ten minutes. [​IMG] no, seriously.

How am I to last another 15 days????

9. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I'm behind both of you. I'm on day 4! Seventeen more to go!!! [​IMG]
    Congrats, Susan! He/She sure is a cutie!
    Jan (Fellow New Jerseyan)

10. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Well I have been hatching out since January. I am going on batch #6. I have 3 banties sitting also -- that is 3 in the same box. I have to move them everyday to get out any new eggs, or they will sit themselves to death. If they get it right, they will be my incubators next year.

Congrats, my next babies are due on Tuesday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by