Day 22. My mini brinsea's temp dropped sudden drop to 90C!

Milagros

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2015
I am scare! Yesterday the eggs were rocking, today slightly but 30 min ago I checked the temp and it had dropped to 90C! I got scared, tried to reset and turn off the "cooling" period...nothing worked, I had to unplug and plug the bator, only then temp. went up to 99.5.
I hope my chicks are ok. This is a preschool and the first time we are using this machine and incubating eggs.
I don't know if I should candle them to see if they are alive - I have read that we are not suppose to open the bator at all after day 18th.

Help please.

I wouldn't candle. Do you see them moving? Do you hear any peeping?

These are chicken eggs, right? Day 22 means they should be just about ready to hatch, unless the temp was low for many many hours I wouldn't expect that it would kill healthy developed chicks that easily.

Last edited:
Yes, they are chicken eggs and the temperature dropped for about 30-45 min maybe? or less.
One thing I didn't mention was that last night I noticed that I never took the rotating tray off and place a soft surface under the eggs on day 18th. I read it is best for the eggs during hatching time to not have this tray, SO this AM I wet a towel with warm water, place the eggs in the exact position they were in the bator, took tray off, placed the soft surface and place the eggs back in the same position they were. All in less than 15 seconds. (I had my assistant helping me).
Could this affect the eggs? humidity? and temp change?Now the Temp dropped was later and I caught it right away.

Thank you for your time.

It should not affect the eggs much at all. The temp being at 90 for a few hours shouldn't kill them all of either (unless something else happened or the eggs are weak).

Sheesh I have two babies that recently hatched under a broody, I thought one egg was a dud and actually brought it in the house the day before it pipped. I left it on the table for a while, then decided to do one last "be sure check" to confirm it was not viable, then when it moved it went back under mama hen. Egg hatched and out came a perfect little pullet.

Last edited:
Today is day 23 and we (teachers) found a pip in one of the eggs but, the wrong side!! is this common? do the chicks survive this? We saw a little move inside the crack... the membrane is white, I heard the color of the membrane is important. Is white ok?
Check the picture.
(no peeps or pips in the other eggs :( )

Last edited:
So, day 25! and we have 2 chicks out!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

One of the chicks has a twisted leg...has a lot of energy and the other one has some gooey thing coming off its behind...I guess is poop?
Any advice? (first pic it shows the gooey thing, second pic show the chick with the funny leg and third pic is the gooey again - sorry it seems gross but...I need to make sure its all ok with my babies).
We also have another egg pip...for 3-4 hours now...is there, we can see the tooth...and another one taking its time to open the shell, it has worked his way around is almost complete.

I actually opened pretty quickly the incubator to get the chicks shells out to leave them room to try to stand, I hope is ok and it didn't harm the other eggs.

So, day 25! and we have 2 chicks out! :jumpy :jumpy One of the chicks has a twisted leg...has a lot of energy and the other one has some gooey thing coming off its behind...I guess is poop? Any advice? (first pic it shows the gooey thing, second pic show the chick with the funny leg and third pic is the gooey again - sorry it seems gross but...I need to make sure its all ok with my babies). We also have another egg pip...for 3-4 hours now...is there, we can see the tooth...and another one taking its time to open the shell, it has worked his way around is almost complete. I actually opened pretty quickly the incubator to get the chicks shells out to leave them room to try to stand, I hope is ok and it didn't harm the other eggs.
AmyLynn!!! Bumping this thread back to the top so you can get some help. The gooey stuff is unabsorbed yolk sack and you need to be careful with that chick. There are people that have experience with that that can help better than I can. The twisted leg is possibly splayed, and that can be corrected, but you need to deal with the other chick first

Thank you,
The gooey staff fell off an hour ago, and that chick seem to be doing great!
I am concern about a 3rd egg that is open 60% for now 3-4 hours! I see the chick in there, moving slowly but still moving :( I Know we are not suppossed to help them, and there is a 4th egg that there is a hole, I see the tooth moving also for hours....
I can send pics later.
I am very concern.

Thank you,
The gooey staff fell off an hour ago, and that chick seem to be doing great!
I am concern about a 3rd egg that is open 60% for now 3-4 hours! I see the chick in there, moving slowly but still moving :( I Know we are not suppossed to help them, and there is a 4th egg that there is a hole, I see the tooth moving also for hours....
I can send pics later.
I am very concern.
That's good that the gooey stuff is gone if there is no blood. She will be fine. 3-4 hours really isn't enough to be very concerned, but keep an eye on it. If you do choose to assist, there are people on here better to help you than me. For the 4th egg, as long as it is moving, I would give it every chance to hatch on its own. In my last hatch, there were 45 hours between the first hatch and the last, and I didn't assist any of them. Good luck!

We have 4
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
little loud stinkers! (the one with the splayed leg is ok...but, of course, moves less than its sisters).

Back
Top Bottom