Day 22 now, still moving but not hatching....?? HELP!!

Our 3rd hatch and it's day 22 and no movement or peeps. Last hatch only 3 of 18 made it hatched on their own, spouse got in a rush and cracked them open killing at least 4 of the remaining 15, others were shrink wrapped due to his ignoring the lock down because he was afraid they were getting knocked around too much by the original 1st 3, I was heart broken to say the least.
This batch like I said has no movement nor peeps.im having a hard time keeping him from cracking any open. I'm hoping they're just late hatchling.

Our 3rd hatch and it's day 22 and no movement or peeps. Last hatch only 3 of 18 made it hatched on their own, spouse got in a rush and cracked them open killing at least 4 of the remaining 15, others were shrink wrapped due to his ignoring the lock down because he was afraid they were getting knocked around too much by the original 1st 3, I was heart broken to say the least.
This batch like I said has no movement nor peeps.im having a hard time keeping him from cracking any open. I'm hoping they're just late hatchling.

I know how disheartening a bad hatch can be.
sad.png

Maybe we (the BYC community) can help you identify why the hatches aren't going well, or at least suggest approaches to try to improve your hatch rates. If that's of interest, answering a few questions would help:
  • What type of incubator do you use?
  • What temperature and humidity do you keep it at during incubation? At lockdown?
  • Where are you getting your hatching eggs: shipped, locally from someone else, your own flock?

If you haven't already seen this guide, I highly recommend reviewing it before you go in to assist - lots of good information here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.

Best of luck with your hatch!

I wasn't giving advice I was simply stating that I too was on day 22 as the person was I made a comment to. That impatience is not a good thing when hatching chicks. I also was stating the reason I had a bad batch beings I had an impatient spouse opening the incubator, causing shrink wrap and loss of over a dozen chicks due to opening the incubator too soon then cracking open unhatched eggs at only day 22. I read the post in here and have a better understanding of the do's and don'ts than he has with his out dated book from the 70's. It's day 23 and just had the 1st one hatching this morning. Have 2 others that have pipped and as long as I can keep him away from the incubator I'm hoping I will see more little beers popping out. Had I not been reading post in this site, I too might have thought all was lost.

Last edited:
Hi, i'm new to this forum. We have had chickens for about 3 years now but this is our first time incubating chicks. We have done everything according to the instructions, saw them moving when candled and haven't touched them since say 18. Day 21 the eggs were wobbling around but we haven't seen any pipping or heard any peeping at all yet. Tonight will be 22 days and i'm getting worried that something is wrong. Temp has been maintained at 100 degrees, except for a couple hours where it went to 102 but they were all fine and moving around inside the shells days after that happened. There is no humidity meter on this incubator but the guy that lent it to us has had several successful hatches with just using a bowl of water in it. I added an extra cup of water for the hatch and there is no visible signs of too much humidity (ie: beading of water/condensation on the windows....) What should we do, my husband wants to try to crack the eggs but I think we should wait until at leat 23 days.... will that be too late if they don't get out by then? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!! Thanks :)
Hi are you still a member? I'm on about my 7th break down and cry worst than a baby!!! I'm in a situation and I just don't know what to do or who to ask but as time goes by I'm losing my babies! Can you or someone be interested in helping? Or trying? Time important...

Back
Top Bottom