Day 22

tlscott54

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 8, 2011
Gowen, MI
My black cochin has been sitting on eggs and if I counted correctly day 21 was yesterday. Should I wait a couple more days to see if the eggs start hatching?

My black cochin has been sitting on eggs and if I counted correctly day 21 was yesterday. Should I wait a couple more days to see if the eggs start hatching?
Yes let nature, the hatch and Hen do their thing. I have had 3-4 hatch the past 2 days, at days 22/23, with a few later eggs waiting, should have a few more hatched out by morning. Mine are Bantams, some black Rosecombes/cochin/OEG, and some Barred Rock/Light Sussex standard/Bantam Xs., The little standard/bantam Xs are much bigger than the bantam chicks. I staggered 2 groups of eggs, with each group having eggs at 3 day stagger, not ideal, but it is working, as it has in the past. i have lost a couple of embryos, it has been real cold here, but coop is pretty warm, no doubt the cooler temps have delayed hatching a bit. if you have your days right, give em until day 25, good luck....

Thanks for the information! I live in Michigan and yes it has been cold! Thursday was day 21 so will wait until tomorrow. If no chicks wait longer or should I take the eggs?

Thanks for the information! I live in Michigan and yes it has been cold! Thursday was day 21 so will wait until tomorrow. If no chicks wait longer or should I take the eggs?
I would wait until 3-4 days past the 21 day point. Whaddya got to lose, nuthin at this point. Don't fool around with the eggs, let the hen do the job.
If they don't make it, try again, with another broody hen.
I hope it works out for yah,.....good luck

Hello, I have 5 hatched now, 2 bantams and 3 bantam X Fullsized. The 2 brrody hens are 1 cochin bantamX, 1 pure Black Rosecombe. I started with 12 eggs, 1 was a dud in 1st week, lost another, go cracked. I had 1 full term still born, ( this chick was all yellow too) momma egg was a white barred rock/sussex. I had another bantam egg thought was dead, did a post mortem to discover, it was alive was and way to premature to save, that is my fault. I candled that egg, saw no movement and thought it was dead.So I have a few more to go, the latest eggs, they should hatch the next day or so.
Good luck, evidently we are on our own in this thread, would be nice to have others chime in with more experience, and stories to assist us. I find on this forum, some threads and users get all the attention and help, and lots get nothing, must be the "pecking order".....LOL

Back
Top Bottom