Day 23... 1 egg left should I give up?

Mycookoonest

Songster
11 Years
May 29, 2008
Hudson Valley NY
1/9 eggs are left the other 8 are live and running around! I had to clean the bator out, and put my silkie eggs in for hatch day friday.

So I moved the egg into the incubating bator really quick, cleaned out the bator, and put it back in the hatching bator quickly after it was cleaned along with the Silkies (in a carton this time
wink.png
).

So now I don't know if I should just give up on this little one!
hu.gif

I was told to candle the egg. Then open carefully if full but no sign of life. Not sure if that's right, but I did and the ones that didn't hatch were gone. Gave me some good info on what went wrong and piece of mind that I wasn't tossing a viable egg.

Thanks!!! It was my first hatch... 9/12 made it to the hatching bator, and 8/9 are bouncing around! I am really hoping this one is a late bloomer. I candled quickly when I took it out last night and "thought" there might be movement, but there was a clear area near the airsac on one side and black on the other side. It didn't look like it pipped the airsac... I don't know...

You could put your ear up to the egg and see if you hear and peeping inside, or use a stethoscope, that's what I did. I had a chick hatch on day 24 so don't give up just yet! Good luck!
smile.png

Hens don't lay a clutch all in one day, so some stored eggs tend to start developing slowly early. I've had chicks hatch out on day 23 when others hatched out on day 19½. I probably didn't store them at a cool enough temperature. I like the idea of candling and singing to the egg. Chirping and listening for a reply. I've chirped to non pipped eggs on day 21 and within hours had several completely hatch out. It is neat to have an egg chirp back!

Well noon time is day 25 and I don't have much hope for it... I'll candle after my silkies hatch and see if there's movement... if not, it gets buried with all the other eggs that didn't make it...
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom