Day 23, do I hold out hope?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Suess hens, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I am using an old, school incubator. I know that the temps in the classroom have not been steady, I have tried, but I can't keep the heat on all night, no matter how I tried.
    I had movement in one egg that started lats on day 21, and continued in to day 22. But now nothing, and no pips. Should I keep holding out?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Unless they smell bad I would give them at least another 2 days or more . Good luck

3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    yep me to at least day 23 maybe 24 depending on what is going on on day 23.

4. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    no one smells. And one I thought wasn't developing still isn't stinky. Thank you.
    My students just told me that they see one of them moving. That makes me feel a bit better.

5. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    So, it is now almost 3:30, and we saw some movement today, one of them really moved back and forth. I think I may have a third with movement.
    Any advice is appreciated. And I know DO NOT OPEN. but patience has never been my strong point.

6. the_eagle69

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    You may want to slip a wet sponge in there for a little boost in humitity. sounds like you should have some pips by morning.

7. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I would freak out to open to put in the sponge! I cracked it open to let some humidity out on day 20 because it was high...I seriously thought I killed them all day long.

8. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Ceep them in there! I have never incubated with a bator. But my broody just hatched out 2 out of 6 babys! Its day 23? Or maby 24? But i got 2!! So i would wait! Its our first time! Good luck! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chicken Girl

9. Suess hens

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    I'm still waiting. I saw movement again this morning. These little suckers are in there but just don't want to come out....they are like human babies, too warm inside and comfy.
    I did add a sponge this morning, I got the courage, and only opened for 2 seconds...I had someone count!
    I am thinking since the ambient temperature in the room has not been steady that I may just have some slow growers.

10. the_eagle69

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    that is my thoughts as well hopefuly soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by