Day 23 with broody hen (not incubator)... are these a dud?

Maybe you can buy her 2-3 chicks to raise (very young, 5 days or younger). Just slip them under her at night.

From what I have read the eggs can tolerate on/off warmth initially, the tiny embryos just pause development when the heat disappears. Later on it becomes a deadly problem.
My lady only has 4-day old chicks. By the time i slip them under my broody tonight and they wake up in the morning, they will be 5 days old. Is this too old???

My lady only has 4-day old chicks. By the time i slip them under my broody tonight and they wake up in the morning, they will be 5 days old. Is this too old???

That will probably work! Be there first thing in the AM to make sure they are accepted. If in doubt give her a dish of scrambled egg and see if she tidbits for them. When chicks are about a week old they no longer respond/bond to a mama hen calling them etc...which is why they need to be young.
Report back on how it goes!

That will probably work! Be there first thing in the AM to make sure they are accepted. If in doubt give her a dish of scrambled egg and see if she tidbits for them. When chicks are about a week old they no longer respond/bond to a mama hen calling them etc...which is why they need to be young.
Report back on how it goes!
Oh great! Now i’m worried they will be too old. I wayyyyy overthink this whole chicken thing! Hahahaha 😂

Back
Top Bottom