Day 24 And no pipping. Chick seems to be alive.. What should I do? What should I look for?

Pics

LocalJuiceBox

Chirping
Mar 15, 2022
The chick has been incubating on a heating pad and under my shirt. I candled it up to the 18 days and it seemed to be ok. Once there was a blood ring around it but after that I prayed it would survive and the egg continued to develope? I candled it after 22 days again to check on it since the only thing it had done was make a little peep but no pips, no braking the shell. I checked again and there the embryo was, it still seems to be alive, I see its tiny baby featheres dangling from the body too. It's at the top of the egg and I fear it may drown. But i was told not to help it so it could absorb the yolk- What should I do? It's only signs of life have been soft little peeps so far. there is also no foul stench coming from it so It's not dead.

What should it look like at day 24?
It should fill up the whole egg and probably trying to peck into the air sack. Are you SURE it made a noise? Because it looks dead to me.
I just looked at your pictures again, and it's for sure dead. It looks like it died a while ago.
this is what a eggs should look like in day 24. You can see its little beak pecking into the air sack, like mine.
1647369575721-1049027853.jpg
1647369754942-327920208.jpg

Sadly the chicken egg is in fact dead. I am throwing it out in a zip lock bag.
I'm sorry, I know it is super dissapointing to have a hatch fail, but trust me, it's better to find out sooner rather than later! Would we be able to see a photo of the duck egg candled? We can let you know if it's still developing or not. Next time I'd really recommend getting an incubator to hatch in, it's far easier to control temp and humidity- and makes the experience much more successful. You can find some incubators pretty cheap, either with a simple model or find them second hand. :hugs

What should it look like at day 24?
I'm sorry but this egg is not alive, see the embryo, its tiny and must have passed away a long time ago... I do not understand what you are looking at, The orange mass is the yolk, not a chick. The light passes through the egg. Can you see any veins in person? See the veins break down after the chick has passed away, and the embryo stops moving, if you hold the egg perfectly still, you'll see that there is no movement from within.

I made the huge mistake of trying to compensate for too high humidity during the previous days with low humidity during lockdown. Doing a necropsy I saw some chicks were shrink wrapped by the tissue. So I’m leaning toward recommending high humidity for lockdown. Though you may have a tricky time of it if your eggs are at different developmental stages
The air cell is showing signs of low humidity right now, but I am refilling the water cap frequently so I am not so worried. The oldest duck egg may still have a few days to a week till hatching, although luckily there are strong veigns there so he isn't dying any time soon. I have my hopes on the little one. I'm going to check on the other three.

I just made a saftey hole for the little thing. I could candle it right now and show you. I did kind of have a lockdown for three days, no touching it and just letting it be. The best I got out of that was a little peep and some moving at night.
Yes, can you please post some candling pictures? How did you do lockdown?

Back
Top Bottom