Day 24 BCM and silky hatching help

ElisaP

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2020
We are half way through day 25. We had one chick hatch three days ago and lost another at that time. My incubation has been pretty disastrous. I’ve definitely had low humidity for most of lockdown (50%). Last night I moved everything to the bathroom, steemed it up and made some adjustments to incubation and egg positions. I felt they were too cramped together and couldn’t actually move. There are at least 4-5 eggs moving now. 1 is a BCM and has been moving for over 24h.
Anyone have thoughts or advice? BCM specifically, I’ve read can have harder shells especially with low humidity. When should I consider helping this egg or the others. We really need a mate for this three day old. We have laying hens and I could incubate again but it will be a boring three weeks for our successful chick.

Is the hatched chick a silkie?
At day 24/25 and embryos still moving, I'd say your temps were low throughout. I might bump the temp a half degree and leave them alone with higher humidity.

Have they pipped? You need to get the humidity up fast. This late in a hatch I would be concerned that they are shrink wrapped. Put a warm, damp rag in with them to help keep the membranes moist.

At day 24/25 and embryos still moving, I'd say your temps were low throughout. I might bump the temp a half degree and leave them alone with higher humidity.
The hatches was actually a Wyandotte. There are two others in there too and they are moving. Movement from at least one egg from each breed still. I suspect this one hatched because it was closest to heat source and it’s healthy but seems tiny.
half a degree F or C? I’ve got the humidity up now because moved to bathroom.

Have they pipped? You need to get the humidity up fast. This late in a hatch I would be concerned that they are shrink wrapped. Put a warm, damp rag in with them to help keep the membranes moist.
Humidity up now. I was concerned about that too but the one I lost and took out 2days ago, I opened at the pip site and it was not dry near the opening. I never saw movement in that egg. Just a pip.

no other eggs have pipped. Can they shrink wrap with no pip?

They can lose moisture through the shell. For hatching humidity needs to be at least 65%, but I usually keep mine at 75-80. If it is a late hatch due to low temperature they may be just fine. If they're moving that's a good sign.

In most cases, not.
Think about this.
There are perhaps 50 different reasons that eggs don't hatch. Not just temperature and humidity.
An incubator that doesn't provide the same temperature throughout the incubator will cause a staggered hatch.
But, a well regulated incubator will hatch good fresh eggs in exactly 21 days. If they don't emerge in 21 days, one needs to figure out why.

In most cases, not.
Think about this.
There are perhaps 50 different reasons that eggs don't hatch. Not just temperature and humidity.
An incubator that doesn't provide the same temperature throughout the incubator will cause a staggered hatch.
But, a well regulated incubator will hatch good fresh eggs in exactly 21 days. If they don't emerge in 21 days, one needs to figure out why.

that’s what I’m trying to do, while they are still alive. I’m learning lots!!

The hatches was actually a Wyandotte. There are two others in there too and they are moving. Movement from at least one egg from each breed still. I suspect this one hatched because it was closest to heat source and it’s healthy but seems tiny.
half a degree F or C? I’ve got the humidity up now because moved to bathroom.
Update: 1 has pipped! About two hours ago. It’s a silky. Do think it might be fair to assume the BCM and Wyandotte are ok too, just a little behind. Silkies usually hatch sooner?

That's good. But they aren't a little behind. They are a LOT behind.

Chicken hatches shouldn't be that protracted. Ideal eggs in ideal conditions shouldn't vary in hatching time by more than a few hours, not a few days.

Back
Top Bottom