Day 24, Egg is Wobbling!!

eggerz11

Hatching
Apr 4, 2020
Hi All,

First time hatcher here! Due to the coronavirus my son's preschool closed, and I inherited 9 eggs incubated at different times. First batch, one of 5 hatched and is doing well. Second batch, two of 4 were not viable, the remaining two were put into lockdown Day 18. When candled, they both looked very small (lots of space in egg), and air cells very small (my humidity was very high).

Well now it's Day 24. The past few days, both eggs were wobbling, but one stopped moving at all. Candled today, and it was in the air cell but I think it was underdeveloped.

The other one is still alive & wobbling, and I shined a lot on it with my phone.. the air cell has gotten super big (edge reaches almost to halfway point of egg), chick overall looks much bigger than on Day 18 (yay).

Now to the part I have a question on.. I heard chirping yesterday Day 23 at 2pm. Now it's been 30 hours since I heard the cheeping and no external pip. It appears to be in the air cell. Should I give it a safety hole? Open it to see if it needs help? I'm scared it will die like the other one.. I've been staring at it wondering what to do. Humidity is kept at 65% and temp seems good.. Thanks for any advice!!

I would be glad if someone disagrees with me. But I would not because every time I have tried to help a chick out, it has ended in disaster and the chick dies anyway. The last time I tried to gently poke a tiny hole in one, blood ran out of the egg and it also died. I saw a video of a person gently picking the shell around the egg and leaving the membrane intact and she had success. I tried that but the chick died any way. Also, this is just me but I discard my eggs on day 24 if it hasn't hatched because even hatching on day 24 too many come out disabled and I will try to save them but I never can. They will have spayed or crippled legs not eat right or blind. Now by the end of day 24 I don't listen for sounds or check the eggs anymore. I just load them into a bucket of water and later dump the water out in several hours for the purpose of investigating why I feel they didn't hatch. I hope you get more advice that is positive and helps. Good luck to you.

r
Hi All,

First time hatcher here! Due to the coronavirus my son's preschool closed, and I inherited 9 eggs incubated at different times. First batch, one of 5 hatched and is doing well. Second batch, two of 4 were not viable, the remaining two were put into lockdown Day 18. When candled, they both looked very small (lots of space in egg), and air cells very small (my humidity was very high).

Well now it's Day 24. The past few days, both eggs were wobbling, but one stopped moving at all. Candled today, and it was in the air cell but I think it was underdeveloped.

The other one is still alive & wobbling, and I shined a lot on it with my phone.. the air cell has gotten super big (edge reaches almost to halfway point of egg), chick overall looks much bigger than on Day 18 (yay).

Now to the part I have a question on.. I heard chirping yesterday Day 23 at 2pm. Now it's been 30 hours since I heard the cheeping and no external pip. It appears to be in the air cell. Should I give it a safety hole? Open it to see if it needs help? I'm scared it will die like the other one.. I've been staring at it wondering what to do. Humidity is kept at 65% and temp seems good.. Thanks for any advice!!

I found this video not the same one I mentioned.
But he makes it seem simple and it is not but I guess if it will die without help then it seems with a try. But I didn't like the looks of the chick still attached to umbilical cord. I've seen too many die just like that. Then he comes on like it's later. He even admits it may not be the same chick.

Hi All,

I hope your chick hatched with success. Let us know how it went.

It's day 26 and the chick is still in the egg and breathing. I'm debating whether or not to open it up, honestly because I'm not sure if my sensitivities can handle it if its not done absorbing the yolk and I cause it to die.

But let's say i open it and it dies shortly after due to some kind of malformation, that would also be hard on me.

I also feel a lot of guilt for not trying to helping it out as well. So I'm still not decided on what to do! Would you open it at this point?

Sadly, I agree with BroodyCluck. If it's not strong enough to get out of the shell w/o help, it has little chance of surviving or being healthy if you help it out. Nature is usually best at these things, hard as that is to swallow.

Well I opened it up. The air cell was humongous. The internal membrane was so dry that it was white. I don't what happened since the humidity has always been good, if not too high. I wetted the membrane and that's the photo that you see. The chick didn't seem to have pipped internally yet? It's not moving. It's also very red and a lot of active veins and arteries. It just seems undeveloped but i don't know. It definitely wouldn't have made it as shrink wrapped as it was. But now i don't think it's making it either way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 14
Well I opened it up. The air cell was humongous. The internal membrane was so dry that it was white. I don't what happened since the humidity has always been good, if not too high. I wetted the membrane and that's the photo that you see. The chick didn't seem to have pipped internally yet? It's not moving. It's also very red and a lot of active veins and arteries. It just seems undeveloped but i don't know. It definitely wouldn't have made it as shrink wrapped as it was. But now i don't think it's making it either way.
If your chick is still alive it wouldn't be safe to put it with the other chick who is likely very active and eating. If the new chick just lays there not active, the active one will likely peck it to death not knowing any better. Before putting the weak chick with the older chick, be sure it's very active.
I hope you can get some more eggs to hatch for your son if he enjoyed the experience. My granddaughter used to love being involved with my incubator watching the eggs hatch. It's fun for most kids. Just don't forget to have him scrub hands bc it's very easy to forget. I've caught myself almost forgetting.

If your chick is still alive it wouldn't be safe to put it with the other chick who is likely very active and eating. If the new chick just lays there not active, the active one will likely peck it to death not knowing any better. Before putting the weak chick with the older chick, be sure it's very active.
I hope you can get some more eggs to hatch for your son if he enjoyed the experience. My granddaughter used to love being involved with my incubator watching the eggs hatch. It's fun for most kids. Just don't forget to have him scrub hands 6 bc it's very easy to forget. I've caught myself almost forgetting.
)5

Back
Top Bottom