Day 24. Give up?

CityGirlintheCountry

Green Eggs and Hamlet
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Middle TN
So the last three eggs are on day 24. There are no pips, no cheeping, nothing. I tried to candle the other night and saw no movement. One was solid dark. Two had definite air sacs on one end. All three are under mama so I haven't been messing with the incubator.
smile.png

Should I give up? As long as there are eggs mama is going to sit. I feel like I should take them away so she can focus on the the four that did hatch.

Any thoughts?

If the hen is still setting on them they might be good. She will only leave them is the other chicks need food and water. These eggs may have been laid later than those that hatched. I wouldn't wait any longer than 26 days. She needs to get the other chicks to eat and drink.

The first round of chicks are eating and drinking from the chick feeder and waterer I put in with them. I am getting worried about mama though. She's so focused on hatching the eggs that she hasn't really been eating herself.
I set all the eggs under her on the same day so incubation for everything started at the same time. The eggs were gathered over a couple of days. I thought that the incubation date was the key, not the lay date. Hmmm... dunno. This is only our second hatch.

Does her being a silkie make any difference? They are so determined!

candle once more and give up..

It makes no difference when the eggs were laid if they were not added after she started to set..
they should all hatch at about the same time..

If you still had air sacs this late, give up.. even chickens do not have 100% hatches..

Back
Top Bottom