Day 24 Helllp!

lacylahman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
I had 17 eggs on our first try to hatch some eggs. One started cheeping and tapping evening day 22, then pipped the shell day 23. I could see his little beak coming out and black feathers, then he took what I thought was a rest. Apparently it was the big rest. we peeled him out and we were all traumatized, even my big, strong, country husband. He was all curled up and quite wet. His rear seemed a little questionable, although I don't know what he should look like. It had lots of mucus and some coagulate grayish bits around it. My kids and I are sooo bummed. My question is.....

should I assume the other 16 are goners? There is no sound or movement from the others.

thanks for any help! ...Lacy

Im sorry the baby died.
There is a small chance the others will still hatch , if they are not pipped you could try to candle them for movement , or you can just leave them be for another day or so.
Good luck

what kind of bator? forced air or still air? temp? humidty at? type of eggs? hand turned or alto turner? days candled? answer these ? and it would help to see where the problem was mabe. sorry for lost. william

my guess is something wrong with temp and/or humidity in your incubator. Tell us what you have for an incubator and what the temps/humidity was......

I had 40 quail eggs set in a home-made incubator - and none hatched. I had 40 set in a Little Giant still-air incubator and half hatched. I threw out the homemade one and am going to get a fan for the still-air and hopefully increase the hatch rate for the next go-around.

candled 7 days and at 14 embroys growing moving and on to 21 heard peeps could see movement on eggs 5 hatched on day 21 and 3 cracked out on day 22 but died and now at 23 no peeps no movement now thanks so much for your help

Back
Top Bottom