Day 24, hoping for some luck

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrsengeseth, Oct 20, 2008.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

So on Saturday night DH went into the room the eggs are in ans swears he heard scratching or something coming from the eggs. I do have hope therefore.

What's the longest I should give them?

I don't want to give up until all hope is lost.

I have traced where the aircell is and on two I traced where chicken feet or heads were, and they moved from those tracings. I candled the eggs and with a pencil traced where they were. That was on day 22.

What do you suppose I do? Wait a few more days? Candle again?

2. citychickers

citychickers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Littleton Colorado
    sorry nobody answered you yet! I just saw this and had to answer. The one problem that I had in my hatch in spring is that the humidity here in Colorado is SOOOOOOO low that almost all my eggs couldn't hatch. They were so dried out that they couldn't get through. I would HIGHLY suggest that you continue (if you're not already doing so) to spray the eggs with water. I know that doesn't make sense to others that don't live in this climate but I know that's why my hatch went bad in March.

Be patient! Spray the eggs a couple of times a day with a mister and keep out of the bator unless it's to spray the eggs. The more humidity you can keep in there the better they'll be.

3. citychickers

citychickers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Littleton Colorado
    Where are you in Colorado? I'm in Littleton. Also SAHM Homeschooling mom! [​IMG]

4. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome. I have the humidity up to 65% and hoping that helps.

I am an hour or so south of you in the Springs!! [​IMG]

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    good luck!!

6. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

Colorado's high dry climate really makes it tough to create high humidity for incubation. I started using a Hovabator Genesis 1588 (unfortunately late this season) and had much better hatch. It has preset temp. From a zero to 50% on shipped eggs. The first incub was the square shaped hovabator with the adjustment stick, awful product!
    I wish I had picked the Genesis earlier as I am itching to hatch out more chicks...my Christmas egg wish list:

bantam cochin--splash, lemon blue, milles, light blue mottle, wheaton, buff columbian
    Marans--wheaton or splash
    Brabanters

oh Santa, please I've been a good girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by