Day 3 Candling. Super cool! (First hatch)

Feb 17, 2021
We are hating Celadon eggs with my kids so we decided to candle on days 3, 7 and then once more before lockdown so that my kids can see the changes as they grow. I was worried that on day 3 we wouldn't see much (or that none of them would be growing because the post office decided to hold onto them for a while and they were delayed... :rolleyes:)

We only did a few so that we could get in and out quickly but this is what we saw in all of the ones we did. We all thought it was super cool!
Can anyone tell me what the darker (line) part is? Does everything look normal to experienced hatchers?
IMG_20210302_085631_247.jpg

We are hating Celadon eggs with my kids so we decided to candle on days 3, 7 and then once more before lockdown so that my kids can see the changes as they grow. I was worried that on day 3 we wouldn't see much (or that none of them would be growing because the post office decided to hold onto them for a while and they were delayed... :rolleyes:)

We only did a few so that we could get in and out quickly but this is what we saw in all of the ones we did. We all thought it was super cool!
Can anyone tell me what the darker (line) part is? Does everything look normal to experienced hatchers?
View attachment 2552570
Oh, Celadons are fun! The dark line could be a fracture in the shell.
I don't see any veining or embryo yet.
I would not recommend candling on those days, imo it's best to candle day 5, day 10, and at lockdown. There's not much to see on day 3, and the embryo goes through a weird stage in day 7 where the inside of the egg is confusing to look at, esp. to beginners.

Last edited:
Oh, Celadons are fun! The dark line looks like a fracture in the shell.
I don't see any veining or embryo yet.
I would not recommend candling on those days, imo it's best to candle day 5, day 10, and at lockdown. There's not much to see on day 3, and the embryo goes through a weird stage in day 7 where the inside of the egg is confusing to look at, esp. to beginners.
We can change days, definitely not a problem.

View attachment 2552570
This was taken on day 3?

Usually you see the first signs of life in a quail egg closer to the fat end of the egg.

Because of where you're seeing this line I'm going to guess that it is a quitter.

This video is not as clear but here is an egg that is good on day four.

Back
Top Bottom