Day 3 of sprouting! Pic, wow it's going well.

Quote:
I have oxine ah that will kill the salmonella and kill any other bacteria/fungus. I'm not worried. Plus, I believe the bacteria builds up in warmer conditions. I use oxine in their waterer and it is safe to drink in small quantities.

Quote:
I'm using sprouts as add nutrition/vitamins and a healthy diet along with the layer feed. My girls are not fee ranging at the moment, so this will supplement their grass/weeds. I'm hoping for oranger yolks too. My girls love greens! In a day or two, they will be able to enjoy them again.

Quote:
I'm using sprouts as add nutrition/vitamins and a healthy diet along with the layer feed. My girls are not fee ranging at the moment, so this will supplement their grass/weeds. I'm hoping for oranger yolks too. My girls love greens! In a day or two, they will be able to enjoy them again.

Yes I understand that but I was wondering why they are planted. I thought you just sprouted them in a jar and used them from there.

Quote:

Yes I understand that but I was wondering why they are planted. I thought you just sprouted them in a jar and used them from there.

Oh, sorry. I planted the sunflower seeds only. That is what I read the best way for those particular seeds. The rest of the seeds I'll use the 4 tier sprouter that I bought through amazon, I like this better then a jar. I can grow more seeds at one time . It looks like the sunflower seeds are too big to grow in the jar or special spouters. This is my very first time doing this.

Quote:
I have oxine ah that will kill the salmonella and kill any other bacteria/fungus. I'm not worried. Plus, I believe the bacteria builds up in warmer conditions. I use oxine in their waterer and it is safe to drink in small quantities.

What is oxine?

Quote:

Oh, sorry. I planted the sunflower seeds only. That is what I read the best way for those particular seeds. The rest of the seeds I'll use the 4 tier sprouter that I bought through amazon, I like this better then a jar. I can grow more seeds at one time . It looks like the sunflower seeds are too big to grow in the jar or special spouters. This is my very first time doing this.

Ah, gotcha. I was just curious.
sharon

Quote:
Not very many. 2 tablespoons of seeds for the 4 tier container. It is on the smaller side and I paid around $15.00 for it on Amazon. I like the sprouter though, I laid the sprouts to dry and it filled 2 dinner plates. Alfalfa is also expensive to buy. I bought the pound for $9.50 and I bought the 50 pound sunflower seeds for around $20. The alfalfa is going in our salads tonight, the leftovers will be fed to the chickens.

I'm planning on buying different types sprouting seeds for us to eat. They sell a mixture. As far as the chickens go, the sprouter would be a waste of money in my opinion. Your better off using the cookie sheets.

I am going to try and sprout the sunflower seeds without planting them in the soil.

This is an Alfalfa/Clover/Radish/Broccoli mix I just sprouted. Quite tasty to me but the chickens were not impressed. I may try some sunflowers without the soil also. The good thing about doing them in the soil is that they de-hull themselves as they grow, of course the chickens won't care if they have hulls. I"m curious to see how much greening you get doing the sunflowers inside.

I've got a couple of Easy-Sprouters and like them very well.

1321203794.jpg

Back
Top Bottom