Day 30 and nothing has happened with my duck eggs.

Quackers1234

Hatching
Apr 6, 2020
Hi I have 3 duck eggs in a homemade incubator. I did have 4 but one wasn’t fertile. Throughout the whole incubating process the temp has been between 37.5 and 38.0. It’s day 30 and my eggs haven’t even internally pipped. I’ve done a float test didn’t see any movement but they didn’t sink or overly float and what I read say that they were still alive. But whenever I’ve candled I’ve never seen movement but they’ve kept developing. I’m confused and I don’t know what to do. This is my first time hatching eggs it wasn’t planned and I probably won’t be doing it again. Would really appreciate some advice. Thank you

Usually incubating period for duck eggs are 28 days but you have 30 days already incubating them. I think may be its due to humidity, if humidity remains low than it is likely they took more days to hatch. Maintain humidity in incubator.

Hi I have 3 duck eggs in a homemade incubator. I did have 4 but one wasn’t fertile. Throughout the whole incubating process the temp has been between 37.5 and 38.0. It’s day 30 and my eggs haven’t even internally pipped. I’ve done a float test didn’t see any movement but they didn’t sink or overly float and what I read say that they were still alive. But whenever I’ve candled I’ve never seen movement but they’ve kept developing. I’m confused and I don’t know what to do. This is my first time hatching eggs it wasn’t planned and I probably won’t be doing it again. Would really appreciate some advice. Thank you
I'm sorry it's not going as planned. Please don't use the float test, it is not reliable, and it will drown your eggs. I once threw out a whole clutch of alive embryos because the float test was wrong and I wrongly trusted it. Is your temp definitely accurate? Do you have at least one calibrated thermometer in there? I would candle them again, and take pictures to post here. What day do they look according to this chart? What has your humidity been? Really watch each egg for at least 2 minutes. Tap the egg, talk to it, whistle to it, flicker the light, watch for any movement. Also, sorry about the questions but please try to answer them all, it will help us figure the problem out. Here's the chart. Oh, what kind of ducks are they?
Screenshot_2019-01-15-13-04-42.png

Usually incubating period for duck eggs are 28 days but you have 30 days already incubating them. I think may be its due to humidity, if humidity remains low than it is likely they took more days to hatch. Maintain humidity in incubator.
I'm not sure about that, I dry hatch a lot and they always hatch right on time.

I was reading about duck eggs incubating it needs higher humidity also. Its important to have higher humidity for duck eggs to hatch.
I have dry hatched duck eggs with 95% hatch rates too. I usually do 45 percent through incubation though because my incubator maintains that percentage very well.

I'm sorry it's not going as planned. Please don't use the float test, it is not reliable, and it will drown your eggs. I once threw out a whole clutch of alive embryos because the float test was wrong and I wrongly trusted it. Is your temp definitely accurate? Do you have at least one calibrated thermometer in there? I would candle them again, and take pictures to post here. What day do they look according to this chart? What has your humidity been? Really watch each egg for at least 2 minutes. Tap the egg, talk to it, whistle to it, flicker the light, watch for any movement. Also, sorry about the questions but please try to answer them all, it will help us figure the problem out. Here's the chart. Oh, what kind of ducks are they? View attachment 2077508
Hi,
I had 2 thermometers in with the eggs to make sure that the temp was correct, I only have one now as I accidentally broke the other one 🤦‍♀️I kept the humidity at about 45-50% until lockdown when I increased it to 65-70% as that’s what I read was correct, I don’t know if that’s right or not as there is so much conflicting information on humidity.

They’re Indian runner ducks.

Going off the chart I would say day 26 maybe? What do you think?

When I candled just now I still didn’t see any movement but the eggs are really dark so I think they’re still alive as I’ve looked up what dead eggs look like and they don’t look like that.

Here are the eggs - sorry the pictures are bad I don’t have a torch so bad to use my phone flashlight

IMG_7611.jpeg

IMG_7614.jpeg

IMG_7615.jpeg

Hi,
I had 2 thermometers in with the eggs to make sure that the temp was correct, I only have one now as I accidentally broke the other one 🤦‍♀️I kept the humidity at about 45-50% until lockdown when I increased it to 65-70% as that’s what I read was correct, I don’t know if that’s right or not as there is so much conflicting information on humidity.

They’re Indian runner ducks.

Going off the chart I would say day 26 maybe? What do you think?

When I candled just now I still didn’t see any movement but the eggs are really dark so I think they’re still alive as I’ve looked up what dead eggs look like and they don’t look like that.

Here are the eggs - sorry the pictures are bad I don’t have a torch so bad to use my phone flashlight

View attachment 2077809

View attachment 2077810

View attachment 2077811
Can you shine through the big air cell? Like down into the egg. That will help us to see better. Sorry lol. Thanks for answering the questions. They look 26-28 days to me too. The air cell is drawn down for hatching in the 28 day pic, so I would guess they look day 28.

Back
Top Bottom