Day 4, and 15 of 16 shipped eggs developing.

swirler

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 16, 2011
Hi! It's spring, so it's egg time. I'm a sophomore egg incubate-r, and this second batch of eggs seem to be going better than I expected at the moment.

My first hatch was non-shipped eggs and 11 of 12 hatched. I got shipped eggs this time, overnight Express Post by truck from 2-3 hours away. They're a mix of French wheaten Marans, Wyandottes (silver laced and blue laced buff), and Brahmas (buff and partridge). Well packed, no cracks. I let them sit for 24 hours, then put them in the incubator (fan-forced hand-turn Hexabator type).

It's day 4 and candling shows only one clear egg, with the other 15 showing development. I was expecting more clears/early failures with shipped eggs, so fingers crossed!

Can damage from shipping show up later than this, and in what way?

Hi! It's spring, so it's egg time. I'm a sophomore egg incubate-r, and this second batch of eggs seem to be going better than I expected My first hatch was non-shipped eggs and 11 of 12 hatched. I got shipped eggs this time, overnight Express Post by truck from 2-3 hours away. They're a mix of French wheaten Marans, Wyandottes (silver laced and blue laced buff), and Brahmas (buff and partridge). Well packed, no cracks. I let them sit for 24 hours, then put them in the incubator (fan-forced hand-turn Hexabator type).

It's day 4 and candling shows only one clear egg, with the other 15 showing development. I was expecting more clears/early failures with shipped eggs, so fingers crossed!

Can damage from shipping show up later than this, and in what way?

Only can go by my own experience but i have had all shipped eggs 7 hatchs in all and doing eggtopsys have found deaths from very earlier up to day 17 or 18.
The first i blamed on humidity and heat but last 5 some of the eggs 2/3 were in a Genesis which holds the temp unbelievably even and of those;
two i got 5 out of 12 to 14 eggs
,3 out of 12
another 3 out of 12
1.out of 12
I read if you have variied age deaths in the egg could be shipping
But that said some ppl get 80% here and there so they all could make it.
Average hatch on shipped is about half from watching others who have posted on here about it.

I do want to say if you got them overnight and just 3 hours away i would feel fairly positive on a high hatch rate anyway as it didnt take 3 or 4 days and were only jogged around 3 hours
GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks! I'd forgotten how much fun this is. A shame we don't have room for more chooks.

I always put in the incubator local eggs to use as a control group. That way I know if the shipment or the incubation was faulty. Last time I had 52 shipped eggs from 2 sources and eggs from my hens. Mine hached without problem but the shipped ones none developed. It is the only hatch with 0 shipped eggs hatching...my rate up to that day was 40% to 50% in shipped eggs.

Your eggs came from near so they almost can be counted as local. Hope you good luck.

Back
Top Bottom