Day 7 air cell size

Chicken12367

Songster
5 Years
Oct 11, 2016
UK
Hi all, I'm incubating some shipped orpington eggs, I candled them on day 7 and the air cells looked bigger than what they're supposed to look like on day 7 when compared to a diagram. In an attempt to slow down air cell growth I've increased the humidity. It was around 28-34% before but now I've added a little water and managed to get it around 45%-50% will this be suitable for slowing down air cell growth and allowing the chick to catch up. Also when candling I noticed that once of the egg has a saddled shape air cell, do you have any experience with saddled shaped air cells and does anything need to be done differently? Is 45%-50% high enough to slow down air cell growth or should I increase it further? I'll be candling again on day 14 and will adjust the humidity depending on the size of the air cell. Thanks in advance. :)

pictures? is your hygrometer salt tested / calibrated
have you incubated before? IME chicken eggs are more “forgiving” but it’s best to incubate at similar humidity to ambient
@Kiki anything to add?

pictures? is your hygrometer salt tested / calibrated
have you incubated before? IME chicken eggs are more “forgiving” but it’s best to incubate at similar humidity to ambient
@Kiki anything to add?
I didn't manage to get any pictures
I salt tested all hygrometers before starting incubating, the digital ones read 6% lower and the analogues read 4% lower
I've incubated before but this is only my second time incubating shipped eggs, first time with shipped eggs I managed to get a 100% hatch rate, that was in the winter and I kept the humidity around 45% days 1-18. The room humidity fluctuates throughout the day but typically stays within the 55%-65% range. Should I keep the humidity at around 50% to slow the growth of the air cell, they looked somewhere close to day 10 or 11 air cells.
Thanks

I wouldn't increase the humidity.
I have had some really messed up air cells, from shipping, that ended up hatching just fine.

The less you mess with things the better.😉

I wouldn't increase the humidity.
I have had some really messed up air cells, from shipping, that ended up hatching just fine.

The less you mess with things the better.😉
Okay I'll let the water evaporate and continue as I was doing before with no water and humidity around 30%. Its weird because I've got some more shipped orpington eggs in another incubator in the same room and the humidity is around 28% but their air cells seem to be on track.

Air cells on day 7. Do they look too large? Humidity is 35-40%. Should I increase it?

Attachments

• F5B05B9A-73F1-4E6E-BAED-6DE5D7ABE1B7.jpeg
    F5B05B9A-73F1-4E6E-BAED-6DE5D7ABE1B7.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 22
  • C58FF14B-7D3D-4954-B75D-51B4D82F40D5.jpeg
    C58FF14B-7D3D-4954-B75D-51B4D82F40D5.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom