Day counter/egg turner error Nurture Right 360?

smott

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Hi all! I have a dozen eggs in the Nurture Right 360. I placed them in there on the evening of 2/3. The counter starts at 21 and counts down days to hatch. By my count, today is the 16th day (will roll over to Day 17 this evening). We just had "snowpocalypse" here in Louisiana, and lost power for 3 days. We used a generator to power the incubator, but obviously it got turned on and off a few times while we got everything hooked up/refueled. I just realized this morning that my egg turner was no longer working and that the day counter was down to 3 (meaning 3 days til hatch). I'm not sure if the powering on and off messed it up or what, but by my count, it should roll over to 4 days til hatch this evening, and the egg turner should stop on Sunday evening, 3 days prior to hatch day... 21 days would be next Wednesday evening.
Question #1: is my counting correct? (I've never incubated for the entire 21 days before, just used it for some eggs that mama hen abandoned when the others hatched.) The counting backwards is a little confusing, but 3 days to hatch should be Sunday evening if they were placed in on a Wednesday right?
Question #2: are my eggs okay if they didn't turn for 12 hours or so? I added days to the counter this morning so that the turner is working again, but I'm pretty sure it quit turning last night.

The older generators are supposed to be governed at 3600 rpm. That creates 60 hz (60 cycles per second) for the power. 60 cycles per second x 60 seconds in a minute = 3600 rpm. See how that works.

The newer inverter types are digitally controlled and non adjustable and should be rock steady.

If the incubator and egg turner uses a basic timer, it uses the 60 hz cycle as a way to calculate. It knows 60 pulses is 1 second and goes from there to calculate time. Now if your generators rpm isn't set to exactly 60 hz, then guess what, the timer in the incubator is wrong. If the generators rpms are set higher, the timer will run faster and if the rpms are set lower, the timer will run slower.

Long story short: I think your generators rpms are set too high. I'd go with your own counting. I figure day 18 (lockdown) is Sunday evening the 21st.

The older generators are supposed to be governed at 3600 rpm. That creates 60 hz (60 cycles per second) for the power. 60 cycles per second x 60 seconds in a minute = 3600 rpm. See how that works.

The newer inverter types are digitally controlled and non adjustable and should be rock steady.

If the incubator and egg turner uses a basic timer, it uses the 60 hz cycle as a way to calculate. It knows 60 pulses is 1 second and goes from there to calculate time. Now if your generators rpm isn't set to exactly 60 hz, then guess what, the timer in the incubator is wrong. If the generators rpms are set higher, the timer will run faster and if the rpms are set lower, the timer will run slower.

Long story short: I think your generators rpms are set too high. I'd go with your own counting. I figure day 18 (lockdown) is Sunday evening the 21st.
Thanks. I added a couple of days to the counter and will just manually remove the turner Sunday evening.

I’m not knowledgeable about all the generator business lol... It’s a generac 6000-ish watt. We ran several items inside the house off of it using an extension cord and a surge protector strip.

I guess my biggest concern is did the lack of turning for several hours cause any damage to the chicks?

Last edited:
The minimum turns per day is 3. That would be 8 hours between turns so you might be in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom