Day from ***** for chickens at my house!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by retiredwithchicks, Aug 31, 2009.

1. retiredwithchicks

retiredwithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    Sunday began with one dead chicken with head laying beside it inside the fenced in run. No visible signs of how something might have gotten inside the run. I went to church and then to work. Electricity went off for 4 hours. Got home to find one newly hatched lav orp dead from no heat lamp and 13 others just lying there. That leaves me with only one lav. Put canndles in the box with them to heat up area while I sat beside the box to be sure they didn't tip over and catch something on fire. They seemed to revive some. Had 30 eggs in the incubator without electricity for those 4 hours and the temp was 82 when I finally had time to check them. I guess "mommy said there would be days like this." Today will be better!!!

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    It will get better and maybe you'll have some beautiful survivors!

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Candles were smart! I would have panicked and never thought of that!

4. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    So sorry but your are very resourceful. Hope it all works out. [​IMG]

5. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

[​IMG] I'm sorry. Great idea to use the candles

6. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

When i have chicks and i know the power can go out at anytime . i have a HEAVY HEAVY WOOL blanket i put over where they are . So that when the heat lamp turns off i call someone close to my house to run over and put the wool blanket over them , that way they maintain their heat .

Last year here in CO , we lost our power for 4 days and guess what not 1 of my 30 chicks died at all .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by