Day of death!!

doyote would be my first bet here, are there any around your place? Fox or coon are the next on my list for the killing you described. I had a bobcat that killed like that, only he came back for the dead ones, one to many times.

I'm so sorry about your chickens! It's really hard when it's a family member's dog that does it. I am praying for you and your sister and your injured chickens.

I am so sorry for you!!!!
he.gif
I hope all your injured chickens get well real soon!!! How will you and your sister handle this situation? This is the third tragedy I have read tonight.
barnie.gif

she doesn't think her dog did it. I am positive he did. After all he was walking around his home yard with Buffy in his mouth. How much more evidence would you need to convict? 2 more have shown up so the count is up to 17. The wounded made it through the night. So I have hope they will recover. I wish I could get them to drink. I'm treating the water with antibiotic. But they won't drink as of yet. But they are able to walk around. However the injured and skidish don't want to leave the house.
I don't expect to see restitution from my sis. But if I catch that dog on my property again... he won't make it back to his house in one piece. I will gladly be the one to send him to doggie hell.
Thanks for all your support. The loss is a great one especially when they took out the majority of my pullets.People think chickens are just chickens. Big deal! They don't realize the expense we put in to them with our time and money.

CG-
I am so sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately, I can completely sympathize with you as I also had a break-in last night and lost my entire flock-dead bodies everywhere and 6 MIA. I suspect dogs. It's such a horrible horrible thing to have to go through. *HUGS* I also considered giving up the whole chicken keeping thing- and probably would have, but I have like 30 babies in the brooder and 10 eggs in the bator due late next week, i think.

I must have some bad Karma due me, because not only did this happen last night, but I came inside this afternoon to find that one of my cats is apparently ill-coughing blood (i saw the spray) and I cannot tell which one it is. They all seem fine. Yesterday my best buddy (2 y.o. Lab) 'Glory', could not stand up or walk on her hind legs, and just before dark I found one of my Lab pups..blind. DH and I had a little rescued baby birdie that we were trying to raise and it passed away late this afternoon, and I've got a 4 day old Speckled Sussex pullet with some mystery disease that I cannot identify. Aside from all that- I have been down with bronchitis/pneumonia for almost 2 weeks now and DH seems to have come down with it as well. Phooey!! I need a break!! Someone mentioned that we are not given more than we can bear... sometimes I think I've been mixed up with someone else and got their load! But, it really is true. Keep your chin up and don't give up on the flock- just spend time with them and help them heal. Remember how much you enjoy having them.

Hang in there, girl! My thoughts are with you. Just keep on keepin' on and things will get better.
hugs.gif

Well, yesterday, Big Whitey (white langshan pullet)gave up the fight. With the heat and the injuries it was just too much to bear.
But the others are coming along. My precious Buffy, buff cochin, is out and about in the yard and back to her talkative self. But I have 7 who are scared of their own shadow. They won't venture far from inside the house.
Now I'm so nervous to leave for vacation Friday. We will be gone 9 nights. Lord only knows what will happen. Just trying to find someone to care for our critters is bad enough but to leave my babes is just worrying me to death. I don't know if I will be able to handle it.
barnie.gif

We will miss you Big Whitey!

I am so sorry both of you! That is terrible!!! I had a dog get into my pen about a week and a half ago and kill off all my pullets (3 dead, 4 MIA & presumed dead since it gets to be about 105 here durring the day and they won't make it long without water). I reinforced my coop with dog fencing (if it can keep a dog in it can keep a dog out, right?). The dog was my new neighbors dog and he promptly paid for the chicks and feed and got rid of the dog. I am very lucky, because a lot of people would not be as nice. Since then I have replaced my flock with 17 babies. I have not had anymore problems with dogs yet, but I'm sure that they will try again. My suggestion is to put boards around the bottom of the fence (big ones, Rail Road Ties work great) and use some heavy duty fencing around the pen. I made the big mistake of using only chicken wire and the dog just ripped right thru it! I hope this helps and keep your head up. I've found that having chickens is a lot of trial and error!

Chrystal in AZ

Back
Top Bottom