Day old chick bitten up by red ants!!!

MotherHuman

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2019
I'm in urgent need of some help. I had a broody hens eggs hatch at some point today and fire ants got into the nest. Mom and the other babies seem to have moved and made it out fine but I found one baby incredibly bitten up by the ants.

The chick is less than a full day old and covered in bites. He is swollen in areas where there are lots of bites. I picked him up and immediately brought him into the house. I hadn't had the heart to put him out of his misery because he seemed like he was trying so hard to survive. I wanted to give him a chance.

Currently hes under a heatlamp in my bedroom where I can monitor him. I tried to put some neosporin on the bites because it was the only thing I could find to do online. What else can I do for the poor baby? I would really like to see him pull through this. Is there anything I can syringe feed him to help him fight through this?

I'm in urgent need of some help. I had a broody hens eggs hatch at some point today and fire ants got into the nest. Mom and the other babies seem to have moved and made it out fine but I found one baby incredibly bitten up by the ants.

The chick is less than a full day old and covered in bites. He is swollen in areas where there are lots of bites. I picked him up and immediately brought him into the house. I hadn't had the heart to put him out of his misery because he seemed like he was trying so hard to survive. I wanted to give him a chance.

Currently hes under a heatlamp in my bedroom where I can monitor him. I tried to put some neosporin on the bites because it was the only thing I could find to do online. What else can I do for the poor baby? I would really like to see him pull through this. Is there anything I can syringe feed him to help him fight through this?
You can use a cotton swab lightly dipped in peroxide, before applying neosporin. But make sure it does not say pain relief on it, lidocaine is deadly for chicks and chickens. Also, add a few drops of apple cider vinegar to its water. You can also mix a bit of water in the chick feed and make it easier for the baby to eat. Even putting some on your finger, gently placing it on the tip of its beak, will encourage it to eat. I truly hope your little fighter makes it. With mine, the ones I helped fight thru a crisis, are the most gentle, sweetest, know me by sight or sound and come running now to say hi. Good luck and keep us posted please! :)

Back
Top Bottom