Day old chick can't open eyes (PICS added)

LA~Poulet

Songster
13 Years
Apr 27, 2009
near Lake Charles, LA
It seems that the eyelid slits are too small and too high. I can (gently) tug on them and get a small opening in each, so they aren't sealed shut, but the chick cannot seem to open them on their own, and the opening doesn't seem large enough for the entire eye to be open. Is this something that may resolve itself?

I've put the chick's beak in water so it could drink (I know it doesn't need anything for 3 days, but I did that with all of them as I moved them into their brooder.

Last edited:
Closedeyes.jpg

Closedeyes2.jpg

Closedeyes3.jpg

I tried that with a damp napkin & my finger-they open just a little, but it doesn't seem like the opening is large enough, it is just a tiny slit. Comparing to the other chicks (with their eyes closed) it looks like the opening is also higher.

I really don't want to have to cull a baby, but I can't realistically feed it by hand forever, either.
sad.png

UPDATE! He's blinking & opening his eyes now! I made him take water several times today and food once, and the third time I went to 'force' him to drink he blinked open and is now acting normally with the other chicks! Woooooo!

celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom