Day old chick leg problem

McChick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
Tennessee
Okay guys, so the four little chicks I thought I was getting have turned into 9 and I found out that there are about 9 more coming.

OOPS!

So we lost one that was having problems breathing yesterday. Out of the 3 that arrived last night........................there is one that has SOMETHING wrong with it's leg. It's counterbalancing itself with it's wing. The foot moves, but it doesn't walk on it, just kinda hobbles around and drags it. Other than the leg problem the chick is in good health.

What should I do???

NOT SURE WHAT YOU ARE REFURING TO ABOUT CHICK ARRIVING?? I most have misted that post

As far as the one with the leg problem can you take a picture???

One of the things I noticed with chicks is that if its an injury that could heal on its own. If the chick is in with a LOT of other active chicks it can not get the rest it needs to heal. I usuall put them in a seperat container with a calm, quiet or smaller chick that won't tire it out.

With a picture we may be able to tell you if you need to intervien with a treatment.

GOOD LUCK.

I've been trying to post a picture and can't figure it out! Cripes! Anyway, I've done more research and I'm wondering if it's splay leg? I'm reading that you can put a bandaid on them and sometimes it will correct itself???

As soon as I get the pic figured out I'll post it. I took pic's of all of them!

Hi McChick, here's how ya post pics https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504
Post some pics so we can get a better look.
smile.png

If it's spraddle leg,please seperate the chics & put some good material for traction & rolled up towels on the sides for support.Oh yeah, put some marbles in the water,so the chics don't accidentally drown. If you have any Avia Charge,that would be good to add to their water.
Could also be a slipped tendon?? I'm not certain,just guessing.I have no experience with that.

here's a link for spraddle leg, has some good pics. http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

Back
Top Bottom