Day Old Ducklings Lost Heat

FlyAnywayAJ

Songster
6 Years
Aug 5, 2017
Hey folks, I had ducklings hatch yesterday. Last night when I went to bed (around 11 pm) their heat lamp was on. Unfortuntely when I checked on them this morning (6:30 am) the heat lamp was off. It no longer felt warm, so I figure it was off for a while. The ducklings were all sleeping soundly cuddled together. I put a new lamp on them. They are now all running around and eating and being normal ducklings. Does this mean they are ok or could it take a while for this heat loss to affect them?
Anyone have this happen? What was your experience?

Thanks!

Hey folks, I had ducklings hatch yesterday. Last night when I went to bed (around 11 pm) their heat lamp was on. Unfortuntely when I checked on them this morning (6:30 am) the heat lamp was off. It no longer felt warm, so I figure it was off for a while. The ducklings were all sleeping soundly cuddled together. I put a new lamp on them. They are now all running around and eating and being normal ducklings. Does this mean they are ok or could it take a while for this heat loss to affect them?
Anyone have this happen? What was your experience?

Thanks!
I think they will be fine, if they run/poop/eat (and if you allow them already swim! Ducks are more prone to overheating so make sure you don't hang the lamp to low / give them a place to escape the heat if needed.

A duckling in distress is mostly quiet or won't stop peeping with a very uncomfortable sound. You'll know when this happens

I think they will be fine, if they run/poop/eat (and if you allow them already swim! Ducks are more prone to overheating so make sure you don't hang the lamp to low / give them a place to escape the heat if needed.

A duckling in distress is mostly quiet or won't stop peeping with a very uncomfortable sound. You'll know when this happens
Good to know. Thank you for responding. They seem to be very happy and healthy; lots of energy and good appetites contented peeping, definitely not a frantic/uncomfortable sound. I wasn't really sure what cold duckling would do. Great info!

Back
Top Bottom