day old lavender orp not doing well

Trishkabob

Songster
12 Years
Oct 30, 2010
Schuylerville, NY
I know this is a common inquiry but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything-we got 3 chicks today and 2 are racing around, eating, drinking, pecking, and sleeping. The little lav. orp is noticably smaller and mostly sleeping. I've dipped her beak in water and crumble but she doesn't seem interested or able to take either (likely getting a bit in her as it leaks into the side of her beak). She does peep and reacts when I pick her up but she definitely isn't able ro walk as well as the other 2-has that wobbly, unsteady gait. She then kind of collapses and sleeps more. I gather all I can do is watch her and dip her beak (every hour or so? I don't want to overhandle her) and hope she gets stronger...
but if anyone has suggestions I'm all ears.
I read about putting sugar in the water but not so sure and don't know how much.
Should I separate her from the other 2? Obviously, I'd rather not but...
thanks.

Unless she's getting trampled, don't separate her. Get her some Poultry Nutri-Drench, or try feeding her scrambled eggs. She needs to be warm so use a heat lamp (carefully as they can cause fires), heating pad, a hot water bottle in a towel, or even just hold her against you. She might just be failing to thrive. All you can do is the best you can.
fl.gif

thanks. she is warm. I'm using the "mama heating pad" this time and she is tucked in there. She has gone in/out a few times so she seems to know she can adjust-she just wobbles drinkenly and then sort of crumples and sleeps.
The places I could get nutri-drench locally now are closed but if she's still with us in the a.m. I'll get it pronto (is it something only she should have or can the other 2 have it as well?)
In the meantime I'll try scrambled egg though she doesn't want to open her beak to eat the crumbles...not sure if I should put a tiny bit into her mouth; I don't want her to aspirate so that might be a bad idea.
She's adorable, of course, so fingers crossed and I'll check on her often until I go to bed. Appreciate your response.

Might be too late but, soak a qtip in a little sugar water and hold on the side if her beak, the liquid will wick into her mouth and she should swallow it.
Rubbing under her beak and on her neck can help stimulate her to swallow.
Check her vent to make sure it's clear..

thanks very much for both of your suggestions (which we tried) but she didn't make it through the night. She was in trouble from the start. We were excited to have a lavender orp but it was not to be. The upside is that the other 2 are little spitfires; still, no fun to have one die-it definitely takes the pleasure of getting chicks down a notch.

thanks very much for both of your suggestions (which we tried) but she didn't make it through the night. She was in trouble from the start. We were excited to have a lavender orp but it was not to be. The upside is that the other 2 are little spitfires; still, no fun to have one die-it definitely takes the pleasure of getting chicks down a notch.
Bummer.......it is fairly common to lose a chick or two, but it still stinks when it happens-especially the first time.

thanks, Grub Digger and Chicken Juggler. It IS a bummer and I am sad to lose her but we knew she was having trouble from the get-go. Luckily, the other 2, now named Matilda (she waltzes) and Merriweather (serious explorer) are having a grand time in their pen and we will be starting the introductions outside in a week or two, with the 4 big girls. We've never had little ones this time of year so we'll see how the warm weather intros go.

Back
Top Bottom