DAY OLD PICS! post #225. 12 hatched!

Quote:
I'm a newbie, and just started a set on Friday of GC Marans from Melissa, plus khaki campbells. Anyway, I got a temp/humidity guage from radio shack for $20. It has a probe to put outside for the outdoor temp, so I laid the gauge on the left side under the window, and the probe all the way to the right of the eggs to see how consistent it is staying. The water in the bottom didn't add enough humidity, so I used a wet sponge , laying on it's side, which I re-wet when the humidity goes much under 50. I think dry incubating only works in humid climates, and melissa's eggs are from a humid area so I say they need humidity, and my duck eggs definitely need humidity.

I have a little LED flashlight with like 7 or 9 LEDs, and it seems to work perfect for candling. I just turn off the light in the bathroom I set the bator up in, and but the light on the end of the egg without even removing it from the turner. Seems to work well on the duck eggs, but not sure if it will show anything on the dark Maran eggs or not. I'm gonna try around day 7 or 10 to see if I can make anything out.

Wow Mahonri, I'm jealous! I haven't convinced DH to buy me an incubator yet, but he's agreed to help me make one... right now I'm emphasizing the fact that our kids, especially our DD, will enjoy the incubating and hatching process.
lol.png

I'm sending happy incubator vibes your way, in hopes that it regulates very quickly. I am anxious to hear how it all goes, and hope that it's much more successful than your last try at hatching.

I'm sure you'll keep us all updated, seeing how often and late you're on here.
cool.png

i cant give you any advice...my hatch rate is very scary!!..BUT, i can say...GOOD LUCK!....
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
...keep us posted!..., me

You are going to get some awsome colors from Sunshine and Jerry D. The mixed chicks I got from my EE (which looked just like yours) and my cochin roo were just to cute for words. I sold them as fast as they would hatch.

Spotty looks a little young but you never know.

What a great selection of eggs you are getting and your little hen is beautiful.

In Arizona, I would not even consider trying the dry incubation method. I am in Alabama and the humidity is not very high in the winter months. I set some eggs three weeks ago and humidity was around 36 with the one channel filled. I would never dream of having less than that. I moved the eggs to my TX-6 when I candled and had to remove enough to allow me to fit them all in the smaller incubator. Dry incubation is a good choice in summer where humidity is high.

Good luck with this your first incubator hatch. Pins and needles for you and family for the next 21 days. It does get easier.

Well the 1588 arrived today. I got the auto egg turner.

I brought a tube from the office to put in through the plug hole on top so that I can use a syringe to add water if needed.

Still haven't bought my hygrometer/thermometer.

They sent a little thermometer, but I have no idea where to tape it.

We are putting it in the family room. There was only one spot available so that is where it is going.

We have three kids from Germany staying with us from the 7th to the 17th and I feel badly I didn't get it started sooner so they could see the hatch.

So far out of the 41 I'm setting I've got 3 of my own with 2 to go before Monday when they set.

I'm starting the bator with water tomorrow after I get the gauges. I'll look at WMart and Radio Shack. Maybe I'll buy two so I have a back up.

glad to here you got the bator, now when the chicks hatch you will be hooked, and you will be like me.( just can't hatch too many) good luck william

Back
Top Bottom