DAY OLD PICS! post #225. 12 hatched!

Just cut out the bottoms of the paper cartons we will be using for hatching once we take out the turner and just after we add more water. I know it's two weeks away but I want to have everything ready. Think I'll use damp paper towels to line the metal mesh on the bottom

I've got the little chick feeders, waterer with marbles and brooder box.
I'll get some antibiotics ready, just in case to put in the water. (remembering last time)
Extra paper towels to line the box.
Wire to hang the brooder lamp and I'll use one of the temp gauges from the bator.

Any other suggestions... I know this post is putting the cart before the horse, but I'm thinking positive!!

That is a picture taken just after sunset in the summer looking northwest from Echo Canyon on the west side of Camelback Mountain... one of my favorite hikes. I only do it 2 or 3 times a year because parking is such a hassle. View is breathtaking.

Took a day off and did yard work (mostly around the coop) today.

Worked straight from 9AM to 6PM w/o a break. I can do that working in people's mouths but I'm dead tired tonight. Should sleep well.

Pics tomorrow.

And day 5 comes to an end at midnight.

Day 6 comes to an end.

Last night temp went above 100 to 100.7 and humidity went up also? Opened the bator...I figure that's like a hen getting of the next once in a while.... but wondering why the temp change. What's up with that?

Anyway, we continue to try and regulate. One thermometer said 99.2 so I put a blanket over the hovabator and it went back up to 99.7....with humidity at 42. (was 32 so I added a little water)

2 weeks and we should be getting some pips.

Quote:
I am a few days ahead of you (day 15). Ours did the same thing yesterday. It has been holding at 99.3~99.7 for two weeks. It jumped to 100.1 for no reason. The room temperature was the same as usual and the humidity in the bator stayed at 50%. Temperature is back down to 99.7 today. I am going to bring in my voltmeter to have handy to check line voltage next time to see if maybe the electronics are sensitive to power fluctuations.
idunno.gif

Quote:
I was just responding and the power in the entire house went out. (Was only out for a minute)

Obviously it's back on now or I wouldn't be posting and all I could think was, "Dang, I should have gotten the 12 volt adapter or a battery back up for the bator!" I'm hoping my alarm clock works.... my kids need to get up in an hour to go to school!

Did you get a candler? The Marans can be pretty hard to see through. There is a great on on e-bay for $12 or the next best thing is the mini-mag from Wal-mart of Academy with the rubber end on the side with the light. You can get up close and personal with it but it gets hot so you have to work quick. You should see nice veining and air cells developing. I toss blood rings, high porosity shells, quitters, clears, severly ruptured air cells and anything else that looks 'funky'.

Then you are on your way to day 18!

My son is still on my case about getting a candler.

I'll have to get it this weekend. I suppose.

I'm keeping temp pretty steady at 99.5 and humidity right around 45.

One week down, two to go.

Will try and do the candleing thing on the 9th or 10th. Then again on the 17th (day 18 when they go into cartons and I add lots of warm water)

Back
Top Bottom