day old pip/chicknot moving/ dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bock_Bock, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i have a pip maybe a day old but as i woke up this morning the chicks in the bator were picking at it and i looked inside and there was no movement from the chick inside so i came to the conclusion it did not make it,here is some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Take it out and check on it. Mom's get off the nest every day in reality. I am sure if you close it right back up all will be fine and you can find out about the baby.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    You might want to take the egg out and gently tap on it with your finger nail and make some chirping sounds. Generally, if the chick is just resting it will wake up and chirp back. If it's been pipped for 24 hours, it should have zipped by now. If it is still alive, you may need to help it out.

4. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Yeah, what Airheart said [​IMG]
    I have broken an egg using a tweezers. How's the humidity?

5. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    the humidity is in the high 60's low 70's i will see if i can check it but iv been watching it with no sound or movement i really do want to cry

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm sorry, i know it's tough. i have lost chicks in the shell before. But do try to help it out. That membrane looks very dry. Just steel yourself and pick that shell away and make sure it is dead. Sometimes the not knowing is the hardest.

7. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    well i just took it out and used a tooth pick to move around part of the dead (white) membrain and you could see the beek was sticking out but there was no movement i have lost my first chic [​IMG]

8. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    when i picked the shell away the membrain was still wet and yellowish under neath the only white part is the part that has been out for like a day

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i am so sorry. It's very hard losing a chick this way. So sad that they went all that way to develop into a whole baby chicken and then to not make it out. i've been there, and cried a lot. Try to console yourself with your beautiful live chicks. [​IMG]

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I had two chicks do that and one died after 24 hours and the other lived for FOUR days! And on that fourth day I thought for sure it was dead (we had decided long ago that we would NOT help chicks out because we think it is just meant to be that they are sick somehow) well...I could not help myself. I worked for an hour slowly first peeling away the shell and then the lining while keeping wet paper towel over it. Today he is a VERY strong blue orp chick [​IMG] His is my favorite and such a sweet heart. He was WAY smaller then the others for about a week but now he's bigger then the hens and doing great [​IMG] I'm glad I did it now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by