Day old silkie with splayed leg

Duckduckgoosie

Songster
May 27, 2021
Austin, Texas
Just did a vet tape splint, does this look right? She is eager to move. Isolated in her own space, will get up on feet 6-7x today. Woman who hatched her yesterday says she’s already 80% better than yesterday after being in coffee cup overnight.

Also grabbed chick electrolytes and nutridrench, going to research dosage.

Attachments

• 0766B9EE-567A-465C-AC9A-E714D1756FF8.jpeg
    0766B9EE-567A-465C-AC9A-E714D1756FF8.jpeg
    658.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 7010D080-CD08-49D0-A9C6-C6B97BBD0C92.jpeg
    7010D080-CD08-49D0-A9C6-C6B97BBD0C92.jpeg
    495.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
It can take a little time for them to get used to the hobble. I have only had one bantam with splay leg, and I spaced the legs 1 1/2 inches apart. I would work with the chick standing it up, and placing them in a little cup or wineglass with padding can get those legs used to standing. It is good to leave the hobble on for about 4 days. Here is a good link about splay legs:
https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html

It can take a little time for them to get used to the hobble. I have only had one bantam with splay leg, and I spaced the legs 1 1/2 inches apart. I would work with the chick standing it up, and placing them in a little cup or wineglass with padding can get those legs used to standing. It is good to leave the hobble on for about 4 days. Here is a good link about splay legs:
https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2012/04/spraddle-leg.html
yes, that’s what I based the vet wrap off of.

Here’s where she is just now: kind of?

Wondering if she needs help with her foot too?

I put my other silkie in with her, I think that’s not too much.

Attachments

• DDFC75B7-E42F-46B6-B8F5-27089BCBD793.jpeg
    DDFC75B7-E42F-46B6-B8F5-27089BCBD793.jpeg
    389.4 KB · Views: 9
Just checked her hobble one more time, had her push to stand a little more, gave nutridrench. I hope we gave her a good day 1. So stressful how important these early hours are. Did not prop her in a cup overnight that seems too long?

Will check in am and try to get 2 sessions in before work, then back for more after 3 🤞🏻

Update is she wore hobble for 4 days then able to go off it and in brooder with my 5 other similar aged chicks. Then today she had pasty butt again and seemed less active. Cleaned her off. Gave Nutridrench. She is pretty small and I wonder if anything else is off. We’ll see.

I don’t know y’all. Leg issue is gone but I’m cleaning pasty butt 2x a day and chick is over a week old now but still so small. And loud. Very loud. Other chicks are fine.

Mess is mostly Nutridrench.

Attachments

• C25C95ED-AD94-4B20-99E1-5DD34979DF66.jpeg
    C25C95ED-AD94-4B20-99E1-5DD34979DF66.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 7
Hi Duck!
Hope you've had success with your little cutie. I'm an absolute noob but, had a similar experience with my first hatch. One of them had leg issues and I tried everything!
Your vet wrap looks a lot better than mine did. I tried that and the hair tie brace using a short piece of rubber tubing in the middle.
It was stressful for the chick and me because I was doing it alone. After wearing both braces for a couple of days, the chick would improve and be able to walk for a day but by morning we were back to square one.
Finally decided the stress was too much for both of us to put another brace on so, I put it in a cup, checking it often and giving it water and sav-a-chick by dropper until it refused to take anymore. I would take it out to let it eat and then back in the cup.
It fussed and fussed and jumped up and down in that cup. Neither of us liked it at all, and I did leave it in the cup to sleep overnight. This went on for a couple of days but, in the end, that's what finally worked for us.
It's now in the brooder with the others. It was very vocal and fussy for two or three days afterward and is smaller than the others but, it's quieter and calmer now, getting around great and enjoying life.
Realize I'm late in replying to your post but wanted to share my experience with you and others who may find this thread later.
Again, hope your adorable chick is up and about and doing well!

Hi Duck!
Hope you've had success with your little cutie. I'm an absolute noob but, had a similar experience with my first hatch. One of them had leg issues and I tried everything!
Your vet wrap looks a lot better than mine did. I tried that and the hair tie brace using a short piece of rubber tubing in the middle.
It was stressful for the chick and me because I was doing it alone. After wearing both braces for a couple of days, the chick would improve and be able to walk for a day but by morning we were back to square one.
Finally decided the stress was too much for both of us to put another brace on so, I put it in a cup, checking it often and giving it water and sav-a-chick by dropper until it refused to take anymore. I would take it out to let it eat and then back in the cup.
It fussed and fussed and jumped up and down in that cup. Neither of us liked it at all, and I did leave it in the cup to sleep overnight. This went on for a couple of days but, in the end, that's what finally worked for us.
It's now in the brooder with the others. It was very vocal and fussy for two or three days afterward and is smaller than the others but, it's quieter and calmer now, getting around great and enjoying life.
Realize I'm late in replying to your post but wanted to share my experience with you and others who may find this thread later.
Again, hope your adorable chick is up and about and doing well!
That’s great, well done!

I am pleased to say Dandelion, though still about half the size as I would expect now, is thriving. Tonight is her first night in the little coop, with Beetle. That might become their permanent coop if the other hens end up picking on them too much after integration. They are our only silkies. I worry a little because it is first night off heat lamp & outddors but its plenty warm and I predator proofed it to use. 🤞🏻

And she’s super sweet, maybe from all that handling. And she was also very loud during her special needs time.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I do think it helps us all learn more.

Attachments

• 90598FB6-829D-49B5-BCFA-8CFEADB54DA5.jpeg
    90598FB6-829D-49B5-BCFA-8CFEADB54DA5.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom