Day old Turkey poult cant stand up

Iggys Acres

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 21, 2013
Texas
I had a bourbon red poult hatch last night and some how get stuck under the thermometer with one leg stretched out behind it, and caught on its back. I put him in the brooder and after a while realized he wasn't folding his leg up under him, so I taped them. Now he can fold his leg again,so I removed the tape, but he's just chest scooting everywhere and resting with his legs out behind him. Should I be worried or just give him time?

Fix it fast.
I put zap straps on their ankles with a small rubber band between them.
Then I put them in a little holding cage so they are forced to sit upright with their legs underneath.
This allows the legs to be close together to grow proper and It prevents the poult from kicking out a leg to the side because of the restrictions of the holding box/cage.
Also the poult tries to stand a lot to try to get out with the others.
This strengthen the legs.

Last one I did only needed 12 hours before it was fixed.

That's what I thought, the fix it fast part. I kept fooling with him when I could yesterday, putting him facing a corner with his legs under him. I'll make him a "cage" he's doing better, but still scooting. Thanks!

I have a poult that needs help too. I have sent both of you an IM explaning my situation. I really hope you can give me some ideas of how to contain or cage my poult to train his legs. He has alot of fight in him and I'm almost at the point of duct taping him before it is too late.

Sorry to hear about your poult. Is it with other poults?

Please check out this link.
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
No just the one. I had 6 eggs. 5 made it to full term but died. The weird part about this is the one that lived was ready and hatched by lockdown(day 25). He/she completely had yolk and blood absorbed. I just had to help it the rest of the way out of the shell because it was pipped for 2 days and its peeping was starting to get weaker. The other 5 eggs was still showing veins towards the air cell and never pipped until 27/28th day then died without much of a stuggle to try to hatch. Also my poult is black and white(alot of black) and I was told it was a Royal Palm egg but if I understand it right Royal Palm chicks are all light.

https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

Same site but a photo of the "chicken chair" mid way down the page. I had a tall narrow yogurt container to use, cut a hole to slip its head thru, covered the sharp edge with tape, then cut a flap out the opposite side and folded it in ward to make a seat the legs straddle. Then cut the container down so it can just touch the floor to "stand" Hope this helps.

https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces

Same site but a photo of the "chicken chair" mid way down the page.  I had a tall narrow yogurt container to use, cut a hole to slip its head thru, covered the sharp edge with tape, then cut a flap out the opposite side and folded it in ward to make a seat the legs straddle.  Then cut the container down so it can just touch the floor to "stand" Hope this helps. 
Thank you for your help. I am going to try this. He is on a wet yolk and vitamin mash that i either hold to his beak or dropper feed. Should I feed him through out the night? He is keeping his legs completely strait. He can bend them if I make him and it doesn't seem to hurt him but fights and struggles to keep them strait. I couldn't find anything on that thread or any other thread about chicks or poults that want to keep their legs strait out behind them. He will try to push his self around if I were to let him like that but I know he will never develop the proper muscles in his legs if I leave him like that.

Back
Top Bottom