Day-Olds with 3 Week Olds - Advice Needed

marylandmama

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2022
Maryland, USA
Apologies if this has been discussed already!

I currently have 5 three-week-old chicks and a shipment of 10 day-olds arriving next week. I've been reading about what to do and what not to do but would love some direct input.

Some say that they can be mixed even with the age gap and others say absolutely not. I've also seen about putting a divider in the brooder so they can see each other, while keeping the older chicks from pecking the babies. I'm not sure there's enough room for me to do this with the brooder set up I have. Currently it's a 50 gallon bin which has a heat-plate in it, food and water self-dispensers. Should I try mixing them for a day to see how they handle it? One person mentioned making loud sounds when putting the chicks in, with the lights off, so that when the lights are back on they've sort of flocked together - making it easier? supposedly?

Eventually all of these chicks will have to go out to the coop together so I want to be able to integrate them as best as possible since I ONLY have one coop.

Thank you for any and all advice!

[Photos of current 3-week old chicks. The blonde cream legbar is for sure a cockerel. The others I'm not so sure about. There are two black copper marans and two which could be combo chicks - not sure what they are.]

Attachments

• 927F521F-A4F6-43FF-8871-B37247DD1244.JPG
    927F521F-A4F6-43FF-8871-B37247DD1244.JPG
    403 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 15
I might say 2 weeks old with care would be a better age.
I have mixed one new hatched chick with 3 weeks old chicks before, but what I have done, was given each older chick dark sleepy time with the chick, then supervised. I think that worked okay, because there was only 4 chicks total. Now anytime I introduce chicks, I try and have more introducing than how many they are introduced to. You may also try and introduce in a different brooder, then the established chicks will not feel territorial.

As a precaution I would put in a divider that they can see though for a few days, so the youngest ones can get steadier on their feet before mixing them with the older ones.

If the brooder isn't big enough to divide then make a 2nd brooder, or get a bigger one - large cardboard boxes like appliance boxes work well, or a puppy play pen, or even an unused bathtub.

I just had to do this, though mine were a little less than 3 weeks apart. I had to put the smaller ones in a clear bin inside the brooder for a couple days for them to get better on their feet and for the older ones to get used to them being there.

Afterward I put in a few box tunnels so the little ones could hide if they needed to, after another day or two I was able to remove the visual deterrents and they are fine now.

Apologies if this has been discussed already!

I currently have 5 three-week-old chicks and a shipment of 10 day-olds arriving next week. I've been reading about what to do and what not to do but would love some direct input.

Some say that they can be mixed even with the age gap and others say absolutely not. I've also seen about putting a divider in the brooder so they can see each other, while keeping the older chicks from pecking the babies. I'm not sure there's enough room for me to do this with the brooder set up I have. Currently it's a 50 gallon bin which has a heat-plate in it, food and water self-dispensers. Should I try mixing them for a day to see how they handle it? One person mentioned making loud sounds when putting the chicks in, with the lights off, so that when the lights are back on they've sort of flocked together - making it easier? supposedly?

Eventually all of these chicks will have to go out to the coop together so I want to be able to integrate them as best as possible since I ONLY have one coop.

Thank you for any and all advice!

[Photos of current 3-week old chicks. The blonde cream legbar is for sure a cockerel. The others I'm not so sure about. There are two black copper marans and two which could be combo chicks - not sure what they are.]
I'm pretty new to chicks (but we have had adults for a few years now).

I recently started incubating chicken eggs have staggered hatches. So I do put them in together at very different ages. I find that as long as the younger chicks are fully healthy (nothing hanging from their bellies) and are able to eat, drink and run about, they do ok.

But, you have to, have to, have to (and I stress again, have to) be there to supervise for a few hours. Then check in every hour or so, for the first day.

For my chicks, I find that once the older chicks curiosity on the new addition fades, they are generally ok. (Disclaimer, your chicks may have different temperaments, so it may not be the same for your situation).

Food and drinks needs to be plentiful and space and heating lamps enough for all of them.

No guarantees, of course, but I just did it with no issues.

Got 8 Bielefelders, then within the week added 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Sapphire Gems, added 2 more Bielefelders the next week, then 2 Black Australorps the week after that, and 2 Gold Laced Wyandottes the week after that. So most of them are around 4 weeks, and the newest 2 were hatched this week, and there are 2 duos at different ages in between.

I'm using a MHP so I tuck the new little ones underneath into the warmth, and we've had no issues.

Good luck with your integration.

I would be quarantining the new chicks. No one mentioned that but you need to remember that the new chicks even though they just hatched came from an area where things like bacteria is different than where you are now. I have bought new chicks only to have them die off and for me personally it ended up being avian encephamalitis transferred from hen to chick through the egg. No reason to put your older chicks at risk.

I would be quarantining the new chicks. No one mentioned that but you need to remember that the new chicks even though they just hatched came from an area where things like bacteria is different than where you are now. I have bought new chicks only to have them die off and for me personally it ended up being avian encephamalitis transferred from hen to chick through the egg. No reason to put your older chicks at risk.
Definitely agree with this.
We bought two chicks recently (my previous ones were all hatched from my own chickens).

It was definitely good that we quarantined as one of the chicks got sick and died 😭.

We have no idea from what. But if it was infectious, our other chickens would have been at risk.

Back
Top Bottom