1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Daylight Saving Ends

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by joanm, Oct 25, 2007.

1. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    I know there is a lot of people on this forum that work during the day. I get home about 5:30 and I immediately let my girls out of the coop for a few hours of freedom. I can’t let them free-range without me being there due to the hawks in the area.

When the time changes next month it will be dark, and they will be in bed when I get home. I already feel guilty about them being cooped up all day. They have the run of course, but that’s not the same as real freedom! They will only have freedom on the weekends. I guess we’ll all have to adjust!

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I'm so bummed! My boys don't crow as early as they used to. [​IMG] They are still in bed when I go out to feed the horses. I still pop my head in there to say good morning, though!

3. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel the same way.................mine free range while I am gone..........but this will make me keep them in , otherwise they will roost in trees before I get them in [​IMG]

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh you poor dears, come over and stay with us, our daylight saving starts next weekend, yippeee.

5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Same here, I have opted to leave mine in while I am at work because last year once the leaves fell from the trees it was hawk massacre and I am not going through that this year. I AM NOT coming home from work to dead or missing chickens.
    Right now I let them out when I get home but they only have a couple of hours and once we turn the clocks forget it. They will have to wait until Sat.&Sun. Of course I do notice that they eat MUCH more grain being locked in all day. When I get home they are looking at me like LET US OUT OF THIS PEN! My chickens are not happy with me.

6. chickenbutt

chickenbutt Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2007
    Richmond, Virginia
    Is it possible for you to go to work an hour early and come home sooner? I have flexible hours like that and since my body won't know the difference I thought I would go in at 6 instead of 7 and have more evening light to play with the animals.

7. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Our daylight savings starts on November 3rd this year. I am fortunate that I get home at 3 p.m. so I will still have some daylight to do chores and not have to wait for the weekends to try and do everything.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The chickens are already roosting by the time my husband gets home at night, with the shorter days. He really misses seeing them run across the front yard to meet him when he comes home. They have really endeared themselves to him by doing that. It is very sweet. I think he would anything for them.

9. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    I thought they changed the time of the year that we change the clocks back. I was thinking its in a few weeks ?
    Take Care
    Cristina

10. Mulemom

Mulemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm lucky enough to work from home half the time, so my girls will still get out on the weeks I'm home and the weekends too, but they will miss it the rest of the time. I did opt for a timer in the coop so they have light 14 hours a day. When I first put the light in there it was a dark cloudy day. When the light came on they all got happy and ran into the coop. I wonder if they suffer from winter depression?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by