1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Daylight time changes....how/when do I adjust in coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SuburbanSue, Sep 27, 2011.

1. SuburbanSue

SuburbanSue Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Emerson, New Jersey
    So just how many hours of daylight are needed to keep the laying up? At what point do you add artificial light in the coop? First timer here going into fall and winter. My girls are about 25 weeks old and we are just getting going on the laying process, how do I keep it up? how much light?

THANKS!

2. Babe77

Babe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Williamsburg, MI
    Mine get at least 14 hrs of light. I adjust using a timer about 30 minutes increments over a couple wks time so it doesn't confuse them. And that is added in the am rather than the pm

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  3. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    I added an LED rope light to come on at 5 am. It's funny how they had already become accustomed to the daylight change. With the light now in place, they head into the coop about 45 minutes earlier (relative to sunset) than they used to!

4. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    Layers need 16 hours of light during the laying period. If you have a timer, you can set it to turn on at 5 am and off at 9 am, then back on at 4 pm and off at 9 pm.

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I add light as soon as we go below 14 hours of sun. Here in SE PA I light from Aug 15th to May 15th. I also add about 1/2 hour every two weeks or so until I get to the shortest day in December.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by