Days Old Chick With a "Puffy" Crop......Advice Please *PICS*

Patchesnposies

Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern New Mexico
We received our McMurray chicks yesterday-Golden and Silver Polish babies. We were so happy because all of them made the trip just fine.

This morning we noticed one of them seemed a little lethargic and when we picked it up its crop (is that right word?) seems full of (?) air. It is puffy and swollen.

What could possibly cause this and what should we do, if anything?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Deb

Last edited:
Here are some pictures I just took that may help. The little thing was laying down upside down when he was in with the others, so I took him out of the brooder and made a separate little place for it. All by itself it has been standing up.

This is what it looks like:

7036_bloated_chick_015.jpg

[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/7036_bloated_chick_014.jpg[/URL][/img

The whole front from beak to under belly is full of air. He is in a brooder with wood pellets for bedding. I have used them successfully forever.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Deb

Last edited:
Boy, I can tell I haven't used the upload feature for a while, LOL.

Here is another picture. Since we moved him into his one little spot, he is doing much better.....walking, peeping, trying to get out. I am going to watch and see if it is eating and drinking.

I don't think he has taken in too much water, I am wondering if the opposite was true and he wasn't able to get at the waterer.

Another picture:

7036_bloated_chick_011.jpg

Last edited:
Im sorry, I do not know what is wrong. That does not look good, hopefully someone can come answer soon.

You may want to change the title of this topic to "Need help!" or maybe try posting in the emergency section if no one posts here soon with answers.

Back
Top Bottom