Daytime Predator?

Reigndrac

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 13, 2013
Our hens are kept locked up safe at night; nothing can get to them in their coop. But recently, two of them have been killed in the afternoon. Neither were taken away, both were mauled, but barely touched and not really eaten at. And it was only one hen at a time, with no noise or stress from the other hens that I can remember. Please, I really can't bear to lose more of them. Does anyone know what may have done this? More importantly, how can I stop daytime predators?

Mauled and not really eaten to me sounds like a dog. Did you walk around looking for any type of tracks?

A coyote would have carried it off, same with a bobcat. Pets such as dogs or even cats would have "played" with them to death and not necessarily even taken a nibble.

I did try to look for tracks, but most of the area was covered in grass, or had been covered up in the prints of my hens. If it helps any, I did notice that the largest wounds were at the neck, which had been torn wide open, and the abdomen, which seemed to have been de-feathered. A dog was my first guess as well, but all our hens are in a fenced in area, and I don't see how a dog could have gotten in and out so easily, though I won't rule out the possibility.

Sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

It sounds like a dog to me also, i have a coydog that can scale a 6 foot fence in seconds no problem, When the workers are here i have to put him in a kennel with wire bottom, a covered top and cover the chain link with hardware cloth so he can not chew his way out.

I have had issues with raccoons and possums kill and don't eat them or carry them off. Just because they're nocturnal doesn't mean they won't come out during the day if their normal food source has changed at all or conditions such as weather are colder than normal, there are so many variables. Which is why I have installed a security system with dvr that records on motion to protect my flock. I killed a fox and a raccoon just last week trying to break into my coop.

If you insist on freeing ranging without supervision then I'm afraid all you will raise is chew toys for the neighborhood dogs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom